Style > Beauty

No “Ordinary” Skincare: Canadian Beauty Brand DECIEM’s Five Best Products under $10

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

“We are abnormal. No, Seriously. We are really not kidding” is the slogan that adorns the About page of the Toronto-based beauty company, DECIEM’s main website. As one of their consumers, I agree.

The company started off with one product in one market and has now grown to more than fifty products in more than fifteen markets, going from being in 200 stores to now 10,000+, all of which was achieved in three years. Currently, more than ten brands have been launched by DECIEM with growing success. Their extremely affordable prices and high quality have become their main principle, gaining wide approvals and popularity with dermatologists and beauty gurus

But let’s focus on one brand in particular, The Ordinary, which basically got me through this winter with miraculously dewy, healthy, and clear skin in the freezing gusts of wind and dry chills of daily life in Montreal. This brand offers highly sensible prices for the same serums, oils, and moisturizers that you buy at Sephora for $60 or more – the products include the same active ingredients which are overpriced by certain high-end brands.

Here are 5 of the best The Ordinary products that I have personally used in the last 6 months with satisfying results. 

1. Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 

• $6.80
  • Benefits: Hydration, Anti-aging
  • This serum is a must have for the cold, dry weather. The 3 combined forms of hyaluronic acid offers multi-depth hydration, unlike most products that contain hyaluronic acid that is unpenetrable to the skin. Plus, Vitamin B5 will hydrate the skin surface even more. Put it on after your toner and before your cream/lotion.
  • This one is always sold out when you visit one of the DECIEM stores in Toronto, since it is one of their most popular products. You will most likely have to order it online; many people order this serum five at a time since it is that good and such a cheap price. Trust me and say goodbye to gross, flaky skin

2. Advanced Retinoid 2%

• $9.80

Retinol 1% 

• $6.70 
  • Benefits: Anti-aging
  • You may already be familiar with Retinol, also known as Vitamin A, that has been used widely for reducing acne and skin aging. The Ordinary offers two versions. The Advanced Retinoid 2% is recommended for sensitive skin and shows better results in reducing signs of aging. (I know, we are reaching that age now.) 
  • There are some cautions to take in to consideration when using Retinol, for example avoiding UV rays; however retinol creams, or serums are rarely sold for less than $10 so go for it if you’ve been searching for a good and safe amount of Retinol in skincare. 

3. Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

• $5.80
  • Benefits: Brightening, Anti-aging 
  • It’s recommended that we should all have daily intakes of Vitamin C, an antioxidant, in one way or another. Its pure form of L-Ascorbic Acid, when topically applied, has shown to reverse signs of aging and to brighten the skin. It’s strong (I can tell you!) but reviewers, including myself, wake up every morning with glowing skin if it’s applied the night before. 
  • What’s even better is that The Ordinary also offers a guide on Vitamin C – as this is an ingredient that is often commercialized in many skin products, but its benefits can sometimes be confusing. 

4. 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil

• $9.90
  • Benefits: Reduce signs of photo-aging, Discolouration

100 % Organic Cold-Pressed Moroccan Argan Oil 

• $6.80
  • Benefits: Healthy skin, Reduce flaking, Strengthen hair

100% Cold- Pressed Virgin Marula Oil 

• $9.90
  • Benefits: Antioxidant, Hydration, Restore radiant skin tone and hair 
  • Oils are not cheap. You can find most of these oils being sold for more than five times the price of The Ordinary oils. For example, Marula oil is sold for over $90 in the same 30mL sized bottle by Drunk Elephant. I personally went for the Marula oil that was pure, and cheaper, but that’s just me. 

5. Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA

• $5.80
  • Benefits: Hydration, Protection
  • Everyone needs a good moisturizer, and plus it’s six dollars. This product contains elements that are naturally found in our skin and provides a protective outer layer so your skin stays hydrated. As a person who has lived with extremely sensitive skin for the last 22 years, this moisturizer has been so good and is so easily absorbed by my skin, leaving no scent and no breakouts. 

*It should also be noted that DECIEM does not test on animals, and they produce their own products, unlike many other beauty brands. Therefore, in their expansion to conquer the rest of the beauty world, DECIEM does not sell their brands in mainland China, where animal testing is mandatory for registration. Despite missing the opportunity to launch into a big market, it has remained a cruelty-free brand

So, I hope I convinced you to basically buy all five of these products and maybe even another five more that are definitely worth the six bucks. You might also find this regimen guide from the website helpful, with steps and dos or don’ts in applying the serums, oils or moisturizers. 

With its fabulous prices, verifiable efficacy and quality, DECIEM admirably has stuck to their somewhat “abnormal” principles and is constantly changing the world of beauty. And I have just revealed to you my most precious skincare secrets, so safely pocket that extra money that you usually spend on skincare and go check out The Ordinary online, or the stores in Toronto, if you want to have the chance for some light and worthy spending. 

Cover Image obtained from:

http://thenotice.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Deciem-The-Ordinary-revi…

Some Information obtained from:

http://ordinaries.com/

Aspiring writer