This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Brunch is hands-down my favorite meal of the day. Between eggs, pancakes, home fries and mimosas, its hard to do brunch wrong. Lucky for me, Montreal has no shortage of brunch restaurants, all bringing their own specialties to the table. This list is not exhaustive, just a few of my favorite spots that have spectacular brunch offerings, mostly downtown or in the Plateau. Each one has unique features that make it worth the wait, since we all know how crazy the lines for brunch can be. Whether you try just one restaurant or all five of them, you are guaranteed a wonderful brunch experience

1.  Restaurant L’avenue

No list of Montreal brunch destinations would be complete without L’avenue. Known for its extensive menu and eccentric decorations (and crazy bathrooms), L’avenue is the quintessential Montreal brunch location. Do beware that the lineup can get pretty long, especially on the weekends, so I recommend going on a weekday if you want to skip the wait time. In my opinion, the best part about L’avenue is their “Indecisive” menu option , where you can get two eggs, meat and breakfast potatoes as well as a sweet choice (think carrot cake pancakes or Nutella French toast), perfect for those who are, well, indecisive. You really can’t go wrong with anything on the menu, though. 

2. Les Enfants Terribles (Au Sommet Place Ville Marie location)

Les Enfants Terribles is a well-known Montreal brasserie, with several restaurants across the island. Their new location atop Place Ville Marie is the perfect place to go if you want an excellent meal with an excellent view. Their menu may not be as expansive as L’avenue’s, but with choices such as blueberry donuts and macaroni and cheese au gratin, it is hard to go wrong. If you’re lucky enough to get a window seat, you will get wonderful views of Montreal and the surrounding area. The space is beautifully decorated and is a great place for brunch date or a morning out with your family. 

3. Ginkgo

Gingko is new to the Montreal brunch scene having just opened up in the fall of 2017, but its already drawing in tons of attention from its instagrammable interior and food. Their menu features plenty of classic brunch dishes, including eggs benedict with five different sauce variations. My personal favorite menu item is the “Demi-Demi” featuring an asparagus and Swiss cheese eggs benedict and a banana, strawberry, and Nutella waffle (can you tell I can never make my mind up at brunch?). Ginkgo is also serving up some of the best breakfast potatoes in town, as if you needed more convincing. 

4. Le Passé Composé 

This is a brunch spot I often overlooked for the likes of L’avenue, but their modern decor and gourmet menu are worth visiting over and over again. What I love about Le Passé Composé is how much detail they seem to put into every item on your plate, from perfectly seasoned eggs to the variety of fruit served alongside the meal. Passé Composé is known for their over-the-top eggs benedicts featuring ingredients like foie gras and duck confit, and their crispy Panko-crusted French toast, perfect for any sweet breakfast lover. Even though their menu is a bit pricey compared to other brunch spots, it is most definitely worth it

5. Fabergé

Fabergé is another cult Montreal brunch spot, located in the Mile End. On the weekends the lineups can get pretty long, but that’s how you know its good. It has a nice, cozy interior perfect for a brunch with friends or family. Fabergé does excellent sweet breakfasts with twists on classic French toast and waffles. They even have a waffle stuffed with bacon– its the type of breakfast dreams are made of. If you’re more of a savory fan, they also do an excellent eggs benedict (seems to be a reoccurring theme for Montreal brunch spots), and a wonderful chicken and waffles. Don’t forget to order one of their signature milkshakes as well for an extra decadent breakfast. 

Images obtained from: 

Cover image: http://montreall.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-montreal-neighbourhood-st-henri/

Body images: Prairie Broughton 

4th year student at McGill who loves food, dogs and lipstick