This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

I’m officially leaving Montreal in less than three weeks and my desire to jam-pack this time full of Montreal specific fun is being hindered by another unyielding desire…passing these winter exams! However, that’s not to say that I haven’t had my fair share of fun whilst studying abroad: despite McGill’s reign, I’ve – at times – managed to break free, explore and treat myself from time to time. So, as I begin to dismantle my room (whilst eating as many Timbits as possible) and pack up my Canadian life into 2 suitcases (help!!), I thought this would be a prime time to reflect on some of my most much-loved Montreal moments. Here it goes.

1. Mont Royal

Perhaps an obvious choice for some, this was one of the first things I did when arriving in Montreal (therefore it definitely holds sentimental value for me) and has come to be one of my favourite pastimes when I’m in need of some headspace. Climbing the volcanic-related hill, which gave Montreal its name, may be a challenge – especially in the snow! –  but there is no denying the views are worth the ascent at any time of the year.

2. Bota Bota Nordic Spa

A floating spa. Need I say more? I’ve enjoyed indulgent massages, reenergising in their plunge pools and unwinding in the whirlpools. I urge you to give it a visit if you haven’t already, it really is the perfect place to flush out toxins and release inevitable stress and tension.

What’s more, the spa is located in my favourite part of the city: Old Montreal. I find this area enchanting, with its European-esque feel, cobbled stones and boutique art galleries I could wander around for hours. And a trip to Old Montreal can’t go amiss without a coffee-stop at Tommy’s Café (their cronuts are to die for!).

3. Montreal Museum of Fine Arts

I always love paying a visit to a fine art museum, especially when in a new city, and despite my (somewhat limited) artistic knowledge, I thoroughly enjoy embracing the creative culture. I was lucky enough to visit the Robert Mapplethorpe Focus: Perfection exhibition, which, in light of the world’s current instability, evoked reflection on questions of gender, race and sexuality. Extremely powerful. 

4. Au Sommet

I literally felt on top of the world (or maybe just the city!) at this spectacular 360 degree observatory on the 46th floor. I loved having the chance to learn more about Montreal’s history in their interactive exhibition as well as dining at the delicious Les Enfants Brassieres only two floors below. Food with a view, that’s for sure.

5. Quebec City

Now, I know it’s not Montreal, but only an (unbelievably scenic) 3-hour train ride away, this enchanting toy-like town stole my heart! Quebec City is a magical haven of independent shops, charming restaurants and thought-provoking history.

Maybe you’re a MTL-newbie ready to explore the city with camera and map in hand, or maybe you’ve already ticked these of your Montreal bucket list. Regardless, I encourage you to get out there, do something new and explore the beautiful city in which we all have the pleasure of living!

So a huge thanks for having me Montreal, McGill and Her Campus and for providing me with unforgettable memories. But now it’s au revoir and back to London for me!

Over and out.

All images are the author’s own.

Connie is a Linguistics Undergrad and languages-lover from London. You'll find her at her happiest when drinking good coffee, travelling Latin America and appreciating good food.