Meet the HC McGill Team: Writers – Part 1

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Name: Chloe Demeunynck

Major/Minor Psychology: Major and Minor in Hispanic Languages
Class Year: 2013
Role with HC McGill: Writer
Dream Job: Working in the business side of a large beauty or fashion corporation in London
Hometown: Gent, Belgium
3 Favourite Places in Montreal: St. Paul Street (in the Old Port), Olive et Gourmando, and Marche Lobo on Parc
Favourite Class at McGill: Human Motivation
Song currently stuck in your head: “Pyramids” by Frank Ocean
Movie you watched most recently: Wall Street with Shia Labeouf
Favourite Quote: “The bamboo that bends is stronger that the oak that resists”
Little known fact about yourself: I speak Flemish (kind of like Dutch)!

Name: Marie McCulloch

Major/Minor: English Literature & Women Studies
Class Year: 2013
Role with HC McGill: Writer & Illustrator
Dream Job: To financially support myself through my illustrations!
Hometown: Montreal, QC
3 Favorite Places in Montreal: Saint-Henri Cafe, Lili & Oli Cafe, and Pikolo Espress Bar (I clearly have a problem…)
Song Currently Stuck in Your Head: Billie Holiday, “When You’re Smiling”
Movie You Watched Most Recently: Looper
Favorite Quote: “For what it’s worth: it’s never too late or, in my case, too early to be whoever you want to be. There’s no time limit, stop whenever you want. You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. And I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the courage to start all over again.” – The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Little Known Fact About Yourself: I like coffee…a lot.

Name: Dana Scanzano

Major/Minor: Political Science and Communications Studies
Class Year: U3
Role with HC McGill: Writer
Dream Job: Food critic
Hometown: Oakville, ON
3 Favourite Places in Montreal: Rue St. Catherine, Crescent Sushi, and my nana’s house
Favourite Class at McGill: Pop Music since 1945 – we listened to disco music for most of the semester
Song currently stuck in your head: Gangnam style
Movie you watched most recently: The Descendants
Favourite Quote: “They say ya attitude determines ya latitude” – Kanye West
Little known fact about yourself: I can pick up almost anything with my toes

Name: Marianne Cecilia Cole

Major/Minor: English Literature Honours and Art History Minor
Class Year: U3, 2013
Role with HC McGill: Events Writer and Photo Blogger
Dream Job: Not sure yet! Ideally, I would love a job that I can grow and learn with – perhaps professor, but only time can tell!
Hometown: Montreal, QC
3 Favourite Places in Montreal: Westmount Library, NDG, and Mount Royal (excluding McGill campus, of course!)
Favourite Class at McGill: Anything taught by a good professor, really. So far, not counting my marvelous classes this semester, my top two have been Professor Maggie Kilgour’s Virgil and Ovid and Professor Cecily Hilsdale’s Medieval City: Constantinople
Song currently stuck in your head: between Brahms Intermezzo, Op.118, No.2 and “When you talk” by The Twelves
Movie you watched most recently: Morse — on the plane from London to Montreal
Favourite Quote: “Yes, I can’t explain it, but there is something in the color, in the movements, and in the shapes, and then in the life which lives in them; in the sap which rises in trees and flowers, in the sun and rain that make them grow, in the sand which blows together in hills, and in the showers of rain that furrow and fissure the hillsides. Oh, I cannot understand this at all, when I am to explain it.” – Jens Peter Jacobsen, “Mogens” (short story)
Little known fact about yourself: What surprises most people is that I have backpacked (with a suitcase) alone in Europe for the past three summers. I suppose I don’t look as resilient and independent as I am, but my mother taught me that, for women, these qualities are key (that, and education).

Name: Katrina Kairys

Major/Minor: Majoring in Psychology
Class Year: 2015
Role with HC McGill: Events Writer
Dream Job: Sports and Entertainment Lawyer
Hometown: Toronto, Ontario
3 Favourite Places in Montreal: The cobblestone streets of Old Montreal, Holder restaurant – great for a lively, bistro-style lunch, and Starbucks (obviously not exclusive to Montreal, but a perfect study spot!)
Favourite Class at McGill: CLAS 203 – Greek Myth
Song currently stuck in your head: “Party Up” – DMX. It’s played in every club, and you can’t avoid…how would you put it…going buck?
Movie you watched most recently: The Campaign
Favourite Quote: “Men judge more by the eyes than by the hands, for everyone can see, but only a few can feel.” – Machiavelli
Little known fact about yourself: I’m a magazine hoarder. You never know when you’re going to need that article about that vintage shop in Munich!

Olivia Lifman is in her final year at McGill University, where she is completing an Honours BA in English Literature with a minor concentration in International Relations. Passionate about writing, reading, and the Arts, she is the Editor-in-Chief of both Her Campus McGill and McGill's English Department's Undergraduate Academic Journal, The Channel, as well as a literacy tutor. She has coached tennis for five years and is an avid haf-marathon runner. Olivia is very much looking forward to extending McGill's campus beyond its university borders and into the city of Montreal at large as she works more closely with Her Campus this year.