Meagan Bardan: VP Creative Development for SynesthASIA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Her Campus McGill is excited to present this week’s profile, Meagan Bardan! As VP Creative Development for SynesthASIA, she comes up with themes for their fashion shows and loves to sample poutine in her spare time! Continue reading if you want to know what it takes to get a fashion show up and running!

Nisan Kavak for Her Campus Mcgill (Her Campus McGill): Can you tell me a bit more about yourself?

Meagan Bardan (MB): Of course! I’m a U3 student majoring in Anatomy & Cell Biology and Economics – I’m all over the place, I know. In addition to SynesthASIA, I run my own club on campus called Global Medical Training, working to recruit volunteers and improve access to medical/dental healthcare in the Caribbean and Central America. I also TA an Anatomy cadaver lab (it’s as cool as it sounds) and work with McGill Students for Geriatric Health. In my spare time, I like to frolic around Montreal sampling poutine and whipping up peanut butter and/or avocado creations.

Her Campus McGill: Can you tell us a bit more about what SynesthASIA is and who you guys raise money for?

MB: SynesthASIA is an organization committed to sustainable development and poverty alleviation projects throughout Asia. Our main fundraiser is an entirely student-run fashion show that displays local up-and-coming fashion designers, performers and artists.

This year, we have partnered with Tiny Hands, an amazing non-profit organization based in South Asia. Our goal is to raise $10,000 to end human trafficking through the charity’s transit monitoring programs and safe housing for women and children.

Her Campus McGill: Can you tell us a bit about your position and the whole creative process of finding a theme? Is it just you or is it more teamwork?

MB: As VP Creative Development, I’m responsible for overseeing creative aspects of the show. That means coming up with a theme that is consistent with our mission, decorating the venue within the context of this theme, and coordinating hair/makeup looks for the models. Obviously, the creative vision is fundamental to the fashion show, but I am constantly getting feedback and suggestions from our amazing team so it definitely makes my job easier! Also, Pinterest is my best friend.

Her Campus McGill: Why “Yin and Yang” (The theme of this year’s fashion show)? What can we expect to see?

MB: Yin and Yang encompasses so many ideas. It represents the duality of opposing forces – the delicate balance between shadow and light, work and play, poverty-stricken areas of the developing world and affluent North America. It is consistent with our commitment to combining traditional Asian culture with Western art and fashion. You can expect to see lots of clean lines, high contrast décor and edgy makeup looks.

Her Campus McGill: Are the clothes going to be by Montreal designers?

MB: Yes! Most of our designers are Montreal-based. In the past, we’ve had brands like FCUK, American Apparel and Brandy Melville but this year, we really wanted to showcase Montreal designers and promote local fashion. Some great Montreal designers to check out this year are Valérie Dumaine, Kollontaï and Iman Nakhala (I wore one of her stunning creations in last year’s show, so I may be just a *little* biased).

Her Campus McGill: For any students out there that want to model for next years show, what do you guys look for in general?

MB: We have absolutely no height or size requirements so we encourage anyone and everyone interested in modeling to come to our auditions. If you’ve got the confidence and a killer walk, we want you in our show!

Check out SynesthASIA’s Facebook page and the event!

Images provided by interviewee.