The Market Cooperative

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Excited about McGill’s upcoming Arts Fair? On October 1st The Market Cooperative will host over forty local vendors and musicians in the SSMU Ballroom to share their talents with the McGill community.

McGill students Sam Gregory and Amelia Brinkerhoff are the founders of this arts and culture fair. They started The Market Cooperative—the MC—three years ago when they felt that an artistic outlet was missing on campus. When asked about their decision to start The Market Cooperative, Amelia explained, “We wanted to start a new project we felt was needed at McGill…with no fine arts program. We wanted a place for students to show their creativity…to show off what they were passionate about.” The pair felt that an artistic outlet for students would be a positive addition to the McGill community.

What is a typical MC event like? Both co-founders were eager to try and articulate the unique atmosphere. Amelia begins, “It’s a big arts, creativity, and food market. Come bring your lunch, hangout, and enjoy the music.” There are artists and musicians both from McGill and the greater Montreal area. Sam adds, “It’s a place to bring together local artists and craftspeople. We’re about creating opportunities for McGill students to [join] our local community—the emphasis at the market is on community energy.”

This attitude supports The Market Cooperative’s mission: to change consumption through cultural change. Working closely with McGill’s Office of Sustainability, the MC stresses the importance of the local community in hopes to promote and educate people on how they can connect and sustain the local economy through supporting small businesses and artists.

“There is something for everyone,” assured Sam. “Vendors sell photography, artwork, organic soaps, clothing, handmade jewelry…and each artist has their own personal ethics and story that spark conversation.” Some consistent vendors that will be showcasing their work this October are Les Arts PlastiquesFallen Angel Photography, and Heart City Apparel. With plenty to choose from, come support our local community on October 1st. If you can’t make it, don’t worry—The Market Cooperative holds four markets each year and this holiday season they will be hosting two events. It’s a great way to do your shopping locally and connect with the Montreal community.

The Market will also have live music and art projects occurring periodically throughout the day. This year two a cappella groups from McGill will be performing at the Market. The same singing groups have also organized the entire event’s playlist. Equipped with their own Photo Booth, on-site art projects, and musicians the arts fair is not your ordinary crafts fair.

Get involved with The Market Cooperative by visiting their website or Facebook page. MC is always looking for volunteers, performers, and artists for upcoming markets. 

Image obtained from:

Sam Gregory Photography http://www.marketcooperative.org/uploads/1/2/3/8/12387032/___3218447.jpg?378

Hey! I'm a writer for Her Campus McGill! I started writing in September, 2014. This is my second year living in Montreal and going to McGill! I'm a U2 Arts student working towards a degree in History and a minor in Education. I've lived in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom and I speak English and conversational French. I love good beer, Indian food, and black coffee. I cook, run, and practice yoga. I'm currently obsessed with Hozier and all indie-folk-alternative music in general!