March Birthdays- Need Celebration Ideas? Look No Further

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

To all the March Pisces and Aries out there, welcome to your Birthday month! This time last year was marked by the emerging COVID-19 Pandemic, and in the interval, everyone has been through a lot- to put it lightly. Although you likely can’t have the birthday party of your dreams this year, you still deserve a joyous celebration and a break from all that worries you. I never know what to do for my birthday, so if you’re anything like me you’re in the right place. I’ve compiled some ideas, ranging from skiing to baking, and I hope at least one of them strikes your fancy. I wish you the happiest of birthdays and a year of pleasant surprises. 

For the Outdoors-Inclined:

1. ICE SKATING

Spend the afternoon skating in the brisk air with friends, then grab some hot drinks and head home for a good meal. What sounds better than that??

2. CROSS-COUNTRY SKIING

The trails on Mont-Royal are groomed every morning and skis and boots are rent-able, so what are you waiting for? Don’t knock it before you try it!

3. SLEDDING

The sledding hill atop Mont-Royal looks really fun, I always see people of all ages patiently awaiting their chance to go flying down. Grab a sled from your local sled-having establishment and get out there!

4. WALKING

Put on your best walking shoes and head out for your favorite area of Montreal, or head up to Mont-Royal and enjoy the escape from city streets. Maybe grab a friend or two as well and have a good long talk. Walking-and-talking is highly cathartic.

5. FIND A SUNNY SPOT AND BASK :)

My idea of a good time these days is standing in direct sunlight for minutes on end. It uplifts the mood, it warms the skin, it just feels good! Next time you see the sun, run outside and treat yourself.

6. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF YOUR ENVIRONMENT

If you’re not in Montreal, think about what outdoor adventures your locality offers. Whether you’re exploring an area new to you or returning to your favorite spot, get out there and have a great time!

For the Indoors-Inclined:

1. MUSEUM

In February the city of Montreal allowed for the reopening of museums! The Museum of Fine Arts is open daily from 10 am to 5 pm, go on their website to reserve a visitation slot.

2. BAKING/COOKING PROJECT

Shopping for ingredients, going home, turning on some music, and creating a meal with your own two hands is such a lovely way to spend a day. It’s a labor of love that results in something you can share with others, or enjoy for yourself! The internet is bursting with recipes, so no matter what you’re looking for it’s out there somewhere.

3. WRITE A LETTER TO YOUR FUTURE SELF

What do you want to remember about your day-to-day life right now, how are you feeling about turning this new age? Get it all out on paper and store it away to read on some future date. Maybe it’ll give you some food for thought that day, or at least a laugh!

4. VIDEO CALL WITH FRIENDS/FAMILY

Pretty self-explanatory. Don’t be afraid to reach out to people if you haven’t talked in a while, I’m sure they’ll be so happy to hear from you.

5. ORDER YOUR FAVORITE MEAL IN

What have you been craving lately? What meal just always hits the spot? Order it ASAP! And if you can, order it directly from the restaurant instead of a delivery app so they don’t lose out on money from the order.

6. WATCH YOUR COMFORT MOVIE/SHOW

My most recent comfort show is Superstore, and I highly recommend it. Also, this isn’t exactly a show but the GeoWizard youtube videos where he plays Geoguessr are very comforting and calming to watch. 

7. BLAST YOUR FAVORITE SONGS AND DANCE!

Either turn the speakers up, or turn your headphones up, and let loose. It doesn’t matter how you look, it doesn’t matter what the music is, what matters is if you’re having fun <3 Some of my go-to artists for such shenanigans are Robyn, ABBA, Madonna, Lady Gaga, Black Eyed Peas.

8. READ FOR PLEASURE?

If you’re not completely worded out from classes, I commend you, and I invite you to take that book off the shelf that you’ve been wanting to read for so long. Maybe make a cup of tea, and grab a blanket? This is you time. 

9. REMAIN HORIZONTAL ALL DAY BECAUSE YOU DON’T ACTUALLY HAVE TO DO ANYTHING!!

The pressure to *do* things for every occasion, the pressure to perform “self-care,” when your heart’s not really in it, is ridiculous. If you want to do nothing all day, I wholeheartedly support you. Do what makes you feel good, what you know you really need. 

Happy Birthday, I hope you find something special to do with and for yourself <3

Maeve Reilly

McGill '23

Sociology & English Major. Born and Raised in Cambridge and Somerville, Massachusetts, USA.