Wellness

Making the Most of Your Time in the Library: Four Students on Their Favorite Study Habits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

With midterm season upon us and finals just over the horizon, the prospect of (even more) studying can be incredibly daunting. Whether you have a full finals schedule, 4 papers due in a row, or have an upcoming assignment that you just can’t seem to bring yourself to start working on, this time of the semester always seems to be a marathon of school work. But studying doesn’t have to be so stressful. Here are four students on their study tips and tricks to remain as stress-free as possible, even during the busiest time of the semester!

“I like to get up and study first thing in the morning. If I start my day off right without hitting snooze on my alarm and making a cup of coffee right away, the rest of my day is always more productive. I try to never study late at night, especially the night before an exam because I think that sleep is crucial for putting what you learn into your long-term memory and being able to think clearly the next day.” From Jane*, a third-year industrial relations major.

“Find out what works best for you. I know for myself, removing myself from social activities, avoiding social media, and locking myself in the library until my work is done really helps keep me concentrated. For others, though, they can have productive and efficient bursts of studying while still hanging out with friends can be beneficial.” From Katelyn*, a second-year international development major  

“Creating study guides can be really helpful. As a visual learner, I colour code my study guides and make detailed drawings or visuals that help me conceptualize the material. Also, figure out the time of day that is most productive for you, whether it be in the morning, at night, or anywhere in between. Sleep is also so important. It helps with memory consolidation and helps you retrieve that information you studied during the test.” From Jess*, a third-year biology major

“Put the dates of midterms and finals into your calendar at the start of each semester or as soon as the finals schedule comes out. Then put down the two-week mark before each of these. Once you hit that mark, come up with a study plan outlining what you’re going to do. That way you are not scrambling the night before an exam!” From Emma*, a second-year psychology major  

*Names have been changed for anonymity 

Images obtained from

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7HF8CBSGGQEE3yx-M…

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/53ff0d05e4b0260e999e7917/540caced…

https://www.google.ca/search?q=studying&tbm=isch&source=lnt&tbs=isz:lt,i…

Originally from New Jersey, I am a political science and international development major at McGill University in Montreal. In addition for writing for Her Campus, I am also a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma and on the executive board of Its On Us McGill.