Long Nights in the Library: The Study Playlist to Get You Through

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Here are the tracks you need as the air gets crisper, sweaters get you toastier and the snow starts to fall. Get your headphones at the ready for some zen study sessions as finals commence.

• Famy: Ava  This is one of my favourite tracks right now, as the drums emerge you’re suddently ambushed with whimsical dreams of forest landscapes and crisp winter hikes. The scenery the track evokes is motivation enough to study hard so you can get out of McLennan and out into nature. There is a powerful drive in this song; it is remnant of adventure and also possesses an inherent driving force that makes you want to succeed. 
  • Ryan Hemsworth: Snow In Newark A bit of a darker track, this is perfect for a rainy walk home from class or the library. Ryan’s voice is transfixing, and cut with a husky edge. The instrumentals diverge between infused electro dreaminess and an indie rock beat. The end of the semester gets us all missing those back home, so the lyric “you’re a million miles away” can really resonate with us all. Just remember, the holidays are only a short while away – although this sentiment is equally terrifying and exciting as finals come into close view… 

• Billie Marten: Lion Hearted This soothing track is sending some winter vibes your way; the song is accompanied by a faint but deep heartbeat throughout the track and it adds an interesting dimension to Billie’s haunting voice. However, with the calm, melted instrumentals, this song is sure to lull you to sleep by the fireplace, or next to the stack of textbooks that you still haven’t read… whoops. 
  • Connor Youngblood: Stockholm  Connor’s ethereal voice will put you in a calm lull as you study, with the repetition of the pounded drum and lightly struck harp guiding you through the mound of textbooks, papers and lectures that you have before you. The track gets progressively more intense; the bass gets deeper and the harp louder. It’s a track that is equally pacifying and trance inducing. 

• Elle Watson: Phantom Ok, this one isn’t the best studying track but I’m such a fan right now. It’s a powerful track with a dark edge; Elle’s voice is strong and husky with an unfaltering vocal range. I added this in here as it’s a little gloomy, like the winter days before us – with Elle reminiscing about nightfall. Within me, it evoked images of winter evenings, the stark trees and glimmering lights as you drive through the night. Save this one for when you get home for the holidays and let it envelop you. 

• ACES: What Do You Think They’ll Say About Me?  For those who like to study to some electro, this track is perfect. There’s a 70’s twinge to the instrumentals and the vocals are remnant of Goldfrapp. It sounds like it’s been pulled from a past era and mixed in with the musical flavour of today.
  • Woodlock: Sirens The lyrics “I’m going nowhere” can resonate with many of us during intense periods of procrastination, but the upbeat folk nature of the song will make you forget all your study troubles and make you want to dance in a pub with gallons of beer instead. Beer > studying: McGill students making good choices since day one. Ok, so you’re in McLennan, there’s no beer on tap here. Instead, let the thought of going nowhere terrify you into studying with some coffee and let the track lift your spirits a little as you work away.   

• Tyzo Bloom: Someday I’ll Be With You  Once you can see the light at the end of the tunnel, when finals are over (or you want to pretend that they are), turn up this track. It’s infused with a feeling of pure contentment and will cause your mind to float off into the most fun-filled, relaxing winter break. You deserve it.  

Images obtained from:

http://dreamatico.com/data_images/winter/winter-1.jpg https://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-000126691464-qkbzac-t500x500.jpg

https://f4.bcbits.com/img/0007737246_10.jpg

https://backseatmafia.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/image18.jpg