Locks of Love: Making a Difference, One Snip at a Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Stop what you’re doing right now and think about anyone you know whose life cancer has affected.

Statistically, everyone will know at least one person who is suffering or has suffered from this illness. This is a harsh reality, but its even worse to sit back and think that there is nothing you can do to help. But have no fear, there definitely are tons of ways for you to help the fight against cancer!

For the past six years, I have been growing out my hair for the sole purpose of cutting and donating it to Locks of Love, a non-profit charity that accepts hair donations in order to make wigs for children suffering from medical conditions that result in hair loss.

This thanksgiving weekend, I donated eleven inches of my own hair for the third time.

As I sat in the salon chair telling my friends a story, I didn’t even realize that the hairdresser had already snipped off the ponytail. She tapped my shoulder and I looked back through the mirror only to realize that my head was eleven inches of hair lighter (or whichever weight that translates to).

I laughed and continued telling my story.  Then my friend cut me off only to say, “I can’t believe you’re so brave.”

That remark really stuck with me for the rest of the night. I couldn’t help but think that I was probably the least brave person when compared to the millions of people fighting cancer on a daily basis.

My grandmother passing away from breast cancer was brave.

My many family friends and young children battling numerous cancer diagnoses were brave.

And now, my close friend continuing her battle with cancer for the second time is extremely brave and oh so inspiring.

I was simply getting a haircut, chopping off a few inches of hair that are sure to grow back within the next few months, in hopes of helping just one cancer patient regain their confidence by using my hair as a wig.

It’s very easy to donate a few dollars to organizations, and yes this may be very helpful, but by donating my hair I feel as though I have given a part of me to someone battling cancer and that part of me is there alongside them during their battle with cancer.

I would recommend for anyone and everyone to try and donate a few inches of their hair for the cause at some point in their life. There are so many wonderful organizations to which you can send in your locks and help make so many more wigs for people that really need it.

Personally, I have donated my hair to a different organization each time: first Locks of Love and second, Pantene Beautiful Lengths. This time, I am still deciding on where to send in my hair, as there are so many wonderful organizations, but soon enough, my hair will be sent in and used to make a wig for a beautiful cancer patient. For most organziations, all you need is at least eight inches of unbleached hair and you’re ready to go.

So the next time you’re sitting in the salon chair and getting a trim, why not cut off a few extra inches?

One cut can go a long way in helping and it’s a beautiful way to show your support and care, not to mention that October is Breast Cancer Awareness month.

After all, it’s just hair. I’m just looking forward to the next big chop! 

Images contributed by author and obtianed from: http://pantene.com/en-us/experience-main-section2/beautiful-lengths