Leader to Lawyer: Richad Hirani

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Meet Richad Hirani, a household name at McGill. Not only is he the President of the Political Science Students Association (PSSA) and McGill Pre Law Students Society (MPLSS), but he also co-founded Moot Court. Read on to find out about his journey so far and what lies ahead for this extremely hard working and passionate graduating student.

Nimra Adil for HerCampus McGill (HC McGill): Hey Richad, thank you so much for taking the time out to do this interview! To start off could you tell our readers a bit about yourself?

Richad Hirani (RH): Hi, my name is Richad Hirani and I am a 4th year Honours Political Science student who will be attending Harvard Law School in Fall of 2016.

HC McGill: What are your goals as President for PSSA and MPLSS?

RH: I have very different goals for each club. With regards to MPLSS – my best friend and I founded McGill Pre-Law Moot Court so MPLSS was really about growing moot court and institutionalizing it at McGill. We really wanted to exploit the diverse market of people who are interested in going to law school as what’s cool about it is that pre-law students aren’t all Arts students, they’re in Science or Engineering or Management and what MPLSS does is that it unites those students under one organization. There are other clubs like IRSAM and MUN which are very Arts heavy, and case competitions which are very Management heavy, so the pre-law society really connects all these people from different backgrounds. For PSSA, I have been a part of it for three years now and the goal was to set the standard for what departmental associations can accomplish. We had events that I think were on par with what SSMU is able to plan like our Canadian federal election debate and our panel event at Moyse Hall, which welcomed Members of Parliament, James McGill Professors, and the Provost of McGill. Academically, we’re the first department in the Arts Faculty to launch an NTC program, and we’re currently working on a standardized regrade policy for students. What we try to do is to set the bar for what student organizations can achieve.

HC McGill: Congratulations, PSSA won for the second time! How did that feel?

RH: The first time we won was when I was the VP Events in my second year and that was a privilege. Last year we had an abysmal year where we got no awards at all, so when I became president I was like we have to bounce back. In May, we established the expectation that our goal was to win the award for Best Departmental Association. It goes without saying that I’m ecstatic we were able to accomplish this.

HC McGill: When did you start getting involved in the McGill Community?

RH: Right away in first year and that’s what I would suggest to any incoming students is to get involved as soon as possible. In my first year, I was the VP Events for the First Year Arts Council – FEARC. That got me involved with the Arts Undergraduate Society and then I used that to launch my first of three campaigns for PSSA. At the beginning of my third year, I had the idea for moot court and then it just snowballed from there as people come and approach you for different opportunities. As a new student in a university of 23,000 students I knew that getting involved was the best to way meet new people and surround myself with new opportunities.

HC McGill: How do you manage all your responsibilities with academics and having a social life?

RH: I have worked pretty hard at it but I would say budgeting and balance. You need to have one clear vision and accomplish it by compartmentalizing the different things you want to do. Despite being very busy, I make sure I have time to hang out with my friends, play FIFA and hang out with my girlfriend. You need to relax and that’s what I think is most important for your mental wellbeing. It’s so much easier to accomplish everything if you’re calm, as your efficiency will improve.

HC McGill: How do you prioritize then?

RH: I wouldn’t say prioritize as I find that all of these things are my priorities. School is obviously a priority because I wanted to get into law school. But that being said, I have really cared about PSSA and MPLSS throughout my time at McGill. I got into Harvard Law School in February, which meant I didn’t have to care anymore since I was already in to law school – but I wasn’t doing it for my resume, I did it because I am truly passionate about the organizations and improving student life. So I would ultimately say that if you are going to commit to something, really put in a 150 percent. If you don’t, it will be a bad reflection on you and the organization. Plus, you’ll get so much more out of it this way.

HC McGill: Could you tell me more about Moot Court?

RH: I love this so much! It was founded in September 2014 but it really started with me and my best friend at the end of second year hanging out and just talking about the idea. The moot court program gives prospective law students a chance to engage with the law directly and learn what oral advocacy is really like. The team is comprised of 20-30 brilliant undergraduate students, from a wide variety of backgrounds. We compete at national tournaments in Ottawa and Toronto and host our very own tournament here at McGill in January. In creating the program, we reflected on our experience with debating and Model UN to create a new program with its own culture that would simultaneously provide an opportunity for prospective law students and grow the MPLSS. Beyond the 100 applicants we received and winning the Osgoode Cup, the incredible team spirit we’ve fostered is what I’m most proud of.

HC McGill: Congratulations on getting into Harvard Law School! Could you tell me how that felt?

RH: It was pretty surreal getting into law school in general, especially Harvard. So the day Harvard was sending out acceptances I was with my roommate and I was like I’m not going to get in, and my roommate was like put your phone away and let’s play FIFA. After we were done playing, I checked my phone and there was a missed call from Cambridge, Massachusetts with a voicemail from the Dean of Harvard Law. My heart sank.

HC McGill: Wow, I can’t even imagine how that must have felt.

RH: It still feels surreal. It’s amazing how many people support you, not just for Harvard, but even when I got into my first law school, everyone was so happy for me. The best part for me was being able to tell my parents because this is all that I can give back to them for all the hard work they have put into me. I took advantage of the opportunities that they have given me and that’s what I value.

HC McGill: What would your advice be for students interested in pursuing the same path?

RH: Commit yourself to something and work hard at it but don’t spread yourself too thin. I see a lot of students who try to do everything and Law School is going to look at you and be like what was this person’s passion?

HC McGill: What keeps you motivated?

RH: My family. They have given me everything in this world and I think that’s what separates me from other people as they might be motivated by finite achievements, but for me, my family is an enduring passion that I want to work towards every day for the rest of my life.

HC McGill: That’s really great. As you will be graduating this year what would be your favorite memory at McGill?

RH: Founding moot court has been an amazing experience and to be able to come back to McGill in like 20 years and be able to say that I created that will be one of the best feelings. More importantly though, I’ll definitely reflect on the individual experiences that I have had with some special people, as I have realized over the years that I’d rather develop strong relationships with few people than have superficial ones with many. That’s what so great about McGill – you meet people from all over the world and have the chance to connect with them, learn about them, and learn from them.

HC McGill: Something you could tell your first year self?

RH: Things are going to work out. Relax and work hard. It might sound paradoxical, but in my mind relaxing and working hard aren’t contradictory.

HC McGill: Any last words for our readers?

RH: Remember where you came from. I come from a family of African immigrants who came to Canada with no education and no money, who had to work two jobs just to put food on the table. Don’t get lost in your accomplishments. Everyone has their own story and one person’s struggles aren’t more important than another’s, so just focus on your own goals and stay humble.