Ladies Celebrating Ladies: The Scoop on Galentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Whether you love it or hate it, Valentine’s Day has crept up on us again. Even if you’re single (and maybe a little bitter about it) this year, you don’t have to skip out on the celebrations if you don’t want to. While nowhere near as widely known as Valentine’s Day, the new trend of celebrating Galentine’s Day is still a good reason to buy a box of chocolates and drink some rosé with the people you love.

What is Galentine’s Day and where did it come from? 

Galentine’s Day was created less than 10 years ago as a day for celebrating the love you have for your gal pals. It first happened in a 2010 episode of the widely known TV show Parks and Rec. Leslie Knope, the main protagonist of the show played by Amy Poehler, invited her female friends over for brunch in the sixteenth episode of the second season, appropriately titled ‘Galentine’s Day’. “It’s only the best day of the year,” Knope explained in the episode; “every February 13th, my lady friends and I leave our husbands and boyfriends at home, and we just come and kick it, breakfast-style.” Eventually, the idea transcended beyond the screen and became established within the realms of Valentine’s Day culture. It’s a day for ladies to celebrate ladies, in whatever way they feel most appropriate. 

When is it? 

In the TV show, Galentine’s Day was celebrated on February 13th. A lot of women, however, will celebrate it on the 14th in lieu of the celebrations they might be missing out on if they don’t have a significant other. Considering the holiday came from a TV show, it’s safe to say that you can probably celebrate it whatever day you would like. 

Who is it for? 

Even if you don’t identify as femme or female, Galentine’s Day celebrations are not off limit to you. At its wholesome roots, it’s a celebration of friendship, which means anyone and everyone can participate. Round up your best friends, ladies or not, and have a good time. You could even call it “Palentine’s Day” if you want to make it more inclusive!

How to celebrate it? 

Any way you like! You could do it Knope style and have a waffle and mimosa brunch if you wanted to keep it classic. You could make a reservation at a fancy restaurant and treat it as a Girl’s Night Out, have a spa day and get mani’s and pedi’s, or just binge watch Nicholas Sparks movies over a bottle of wine from the safety of your couch. The possibilities are endless and as long as you’re celebrating and having fun, you’re doing it right. 

Images obtained from: 

https://snworksceo.imgix.net/ohi/172ff99a-6aab-4932-bedb-a646e3ae22d6.si…

https://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/media/img/mt/2017/02/140312_2756919_G…

Steph is a second-year student at McGill University, who splits her time outside of Montreal equally between the sunshine of Texas and the snow-capped Rockies of Alberta. When not studying or writing blog posts she enjoys making home films of her friends and their adventures, creating a ridiculous amount playlists on Spotify, or binge-watching Jamie Oliver's cooking channel (all with endless cups of coffee in hand).  Follow her personal blog for sporadic posts and videos about the current state of her life, her Spotify for playlists that can apply to every aspect of life, her Instagram for up-to-date snapshots of what she's doing, and her Twitter for pictures of cute pups and other relevant, overcaffeinated content.