sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Interview with a Dating Expert: Margaux Chetrit-Cassuto on Today’s Dating World and Entrepreneurial Journey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, the pressure of finding the perfect date is creeping upon us. To help all boys and gals out there, Her Campus sat down with the ultimate girl boss and dating expert, Margaux Chetrit-Cassuto. Margaux, a fellow McGillian, is the founder of Three Matches. Three Matches is a matchmaking service that connects young professionals worldwide. Today, Margaux shares her expertise as we discuss today’s dating world and her journey as an entrepreneur.

Sooji Hah for Her Campus McGill (HC McGill): Hi Margaux! Thank you for joining us today. To get started, we want to hear a bit about your background. How did you get started on your path to becoming an entrepreneur and creating Three Matches?

Margaux Chetrit-Cassuto (MC): After graduating from McGill and finishing grad school abroad, I was working as a parliamentary intern with some extra time on my hands. Not one to “Netflix and Chill” (especially since it didn’t exist back then), I decided to use my time wisely and start a business that I felt passionate about. Of course, I should mention that I knew nothing about entrepreneurship at the time and had no business background whatsoever but I didn’t let that stop me. With a $200 loan from my father and a few dozen borrowed library books, I turned my passion for connecting people into my profession.

HC McGill: What was the biggest challenge you faced during your journey to becoming a successful entrepreneur?

MC: The naysayers were probably one of the most significant obstacles; most people had never heard of dating apps and online dating when I started up and questioned their necessity. They made me doubt myself and my project. I think a lot of entrepreneurs face a similar situation where everyone is a critic, but you just have to be your biggest fan– believe in yourself and your idea… and from time to time lend an ear to the haters to motivate you to succeed and prove them wrong.

HC McGill: What is your biggest advice for young girls who want to start their own business?

MC: Disclaimer: my advice isn’t backed by any fancy business degree. It comes from my own trial and error and the wisdom of my mentors. I recommend anyone starting a business to first create a viable business plan and test it out before investing any handsome sums. I also believe in connecting with as many people as possible from diverse professional backgrounds and cultures and absorbing everything you can learn from them. The more intelligent the people are around you, the more intelligent you will be. It’s contagious. Finally, it’s all about the hustle. So hustle, hustle, sleep, dream and repeat!

HC McGill: Today, we see a rise in popularity with dating apps such as Tinder and Bumble. What sets your business apart from these new dating apps and services?

MC: Three Matches is a matchmaking agency for young professionals. Each and every member is screened by me. There is no algorithm to these matches, it’s based on my own intuition. Furthermore, there is a high level of confidentiality and I am available around the clock to advise. The best part is that members connect in person rather than online. I set up their dates from start-to-finish. The service is aimed at people looking for serious relationships and not online flings. This is not to knock Tinder and Bumble. I think both are great. In fact, I think singles (including my own members) should use every tool at their disposal to connect with as many people until they find “their person.”

HC McGill: When you’re conducting interviews with people, what is a question you like to ask to really get to know someone?

MC: In my experience, I find two questions the most telling and decisive. The first is, “What do you do on a Sunday” This is how you will discover someone’s priorities. (I.e., Are they attending church? Are they brunching with family or friends? Are they preparing their week ahead?) The second is, “What is your 5-10 year plan?” I will only introduce people who have compatible life plans. For example, in terms of where they want to live, what they will be doing (starting a family/ pursuing grad studies/ traveling etc.)

HC McGill: Do you think the dating world today is quite different from when you first started your business? If so, how did you adjust your business to match today’s “trends” of dating?

MC: As dating becomes more and more of an online activity that takes place behind the comforts of a screen, people have less and less social interaction and become increasingly bad at it. Through my coaching services, I try to remind clients of socially acceptable behaviors in the “#metoo” era and encourage them to get comfortable enough on dates to be their charming, true selves– especially to nail a second date.

HC McGill: You touched a bit on your dating coach service. As an expert, what is your biggest tip you have when it comes to dating?

MC: People go on dates looking for reasons not to see that person again. My best advice is to go on a date with a positive attitude and an open heart with the goal of finding something in the person sitting across the table from you that makes them worth seeing again. I also encourage people to try to go on three dates before making a decision against the person.

HC McGill: Going back to learning more about your entrepreneurial journey, what are you next steps? Would you consider expanding Three Matches? Perhaps start another company?

MC: I always believe there is room to grow and that’s what I’m doing with Three Matches. In parallel, I am launching The 7:30 Society. It’s a social supper club where eligible singles get to meet in a casual low-pressure setting over dinner with friends. The best part is that part of the proceeds go to charity so the evening is about good food, good company and all for a good cause.

HC McGill: And finally, last but not least, how do you think the dating world will change 10 years from now?

MC: I am afraid dating will continue to become impersonal. My goal is to restore the human touch with my multiple sophisticated dating concepts: Three Matches and The 7:30 Society…. and essentially, Spread the love!

To learn more about Margaux and her expertise on dating, you can check out Margaux’s recent TV appearance here: https://globalnews.ca/video/3984127/montreal-matchmaker-winter-relationships-and-love (also be on the lookout for her upcoming appearance for Valentine’s Day!)

To learn about Three Matches and The 7:30 Society, you can find more information here: https://www.threematches.com, https://www.the730society.com.

Images provided by interviewee.

Sooji Hah

McGill '20

Sooji is currently a third-year student at McGill University majoring in Labour Relations with a minor in Management. Her life goal is to one day publish a book and see Frank Ocean live.