Chick Peas
Chick Peas
Christin Urso / Spoon

I Made Roasted Chickpea Chips and It Changed My Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

We’ve all had those days where midterms catch up to you, the lack of sleep made you press snooze a bit too many times, and you had to rush out of the house without any food to tide you over throughout a long day of class and at the library. And we all have had those moments when we are absolutely starving and head to the vending machines to grab a package of chips or cookies. 

These roasted chickpeas are the perfect healthy snack that has the savory, salty, crunch of a potato chip and the hearty sweetness of a Cinnabon but are packed full of nutrients and almost 18 g of protein in a half-cup serving! They’re perfect to throw in a baggy and take in your backpack for a quick pick-me-up in class or the library as a guilt-free healthy snack that will keep you full for longer and squelch the chip or cookie cravings forever. Here are my easy, savory and sweet cinnamon-spiced roasted chickpea chips recipes. 

Spices
Christin Urso / Spoon

The savory version: 

1. Take your chickpeas from the can and rinse them in a strainer under hot water. 

2. Massage the chickpeas, rolling them around between both hands in order to get the skins off. 

3. Pick through the chickpeas, taking out any skins that came off or any that are still on the beans. 

4. Pour them over a paper towel and pat dry. 

5. Put the chickpeas onto a baking sheet and drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil onto them.  

6. Put in your seasonings (½  tablespoon of each): paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and chili flakes. 

7. Using your hands, mix the seasoning and olive oil onto the beans until all are fully coated 

8. Bake at 400° Fahrenheit for 50 minutes, mixing them 20 minutes in to make sure none burn.  

9. Once out of the oven, leave on the baking tray to cool and dry out for 2 hours.  

Cinnamon
Natalie Rodriguez / Spoon

For the sweet cinnamon-spiced version: 

1. Repeat steps 1-4 the same as the savory version.

2. Melt one tablespoon of butter or coconut oil and drizzle it over the chickpeas. 

3. Put in your spices (½  tablespoon of each): cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and a pinch of allspice. 

4. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of honey over the beans. 

5. Using your hands, mix the seasonings, butter, and honey onto the beans until all are fully coated. 

6. Bake at 400° Fahrenheit for 1 hour, mixing them every 20 minutes to make sure none burn.  

7. Once out of the oven, leave on the baking tray to cool and dry out for 2 hours. 

eat what makes you happy neon sign on brick wall
Photo by Jon Tyson from Unsplash

The chickpeas take about 15 minutes of prep time and 50-60 minutes of cook time. I’d recommend making the recipe in bulk and storing them in an airtight container. They’ll keep for about a week or two. Enjoy and share with friends!  

Simone is a Second-year student at McGill Majoring in Psychology and minoring in Marketing and Behavioral Science. She is from Chicago and is passionate about mental health promotion and is VP External for the Students in Mind Mental Health Conference. She is also a Research Assistant at the Social Interaction and Perception Lab at McGill, which studies the causes and consequences of accurate social perception and expression. She enjoys dancing and exploring Montreal via metro or on foot with her friends.