matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

How Meghan Markle is Helping Victims of the Grenfell Tower Fire

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

In the wake of the Grenfell Tower Fire, members of the community are working hard to bounce back. One such example of this is a group of women who were affected by the tragedy who set up the Hubb Community Kitchen in the Al Mannar Centre in West London. These women, from a variety of different backgrounds, cook fresh meals for their friends, families, and neighbours, and of this mandate grew an increasing sense of empowerment and sisterhood, which led to more women joining the cause.

According to Kensington Palace, the Duchess of Sussex first visited the kitchen in January and has continued to go there ever since. A self-proclaimed feminist and foodie herself, this female driven grassroots project inspired her. So, when she learned that the kitchen could only afford to stay open for two days a week, she decided to get involved to change that. She suggested they create a cookbook and offered her full support for them to achieve this new goal. Thus, she helped the women secure a publisher and “Together: Our Community Cookbook” was born. 

The Duchess has written the foreword for the book, which shares over 50 recipes and the stories of the group of diverse women who came together following the Grenfell tragedy to help each other and their community regain hope for the future following such a devastating tragedy through food. The book comes out Thursday and all profits from the sales of the book will be put towards the Hubb Community Kitchen to help keep it open 7 days a week. 

Images obtained from https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal 

21 year-old McGill Undergraduate student majoring in english drama/theatre with minors in sociology and communications.