#GOGREEK: 5 Reasons to Join a Sorority at McGill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

There are about a million reasons to go Greek during your time at university, but here are just a few:

1. Academic Support

When you’re in a sorority, your sisters will always be there to help you out when school just gets to be too much. University can be stressful, but having a group of smart amazing women holding you up makes it so much easier. Everybody in the organizations cares about their grades, and it motivates you to power through the hard times. You’ll always have someone in your classes to sit with and study with!

2. Leadership Opportunities

If you’re looking to expand your horizons and career prospects, a sorority is a great way to do that. There are countless opportunities to get involved in your chapter, help shape it, and make an impact on future members. 

3. Sisterhood

They say that from the outside looking in you can’t understand it, and that from the inside looking out you can never truly explain it. It sounds corny, but I can honestly say from my own personal experience in Greek Life at McGill that nothing rings more true. No matter what is happening in your life, good or bad, there will always be someone there for you, ready to do whatever it takes to help you through it or help you celebrate it. You are surrounded by amazing women who will always inspire you to be the best version of yourself. 

4. Getting Involved

Being in Greek life is a great way to get involved in the McGill community. You meet so many amazingly interesting people, in your own chapter and beyond. You expand your network far beyond what you thought possible and can truly immerse yourself within the University’s student life even beyond Greek life. It’s how I found out about Her Campus and decided to give it a shot!

5. A Community for Life

Even after you graduate, you are still part of the Panhellenic Community. No matter where you go, or how many years it has been, you’ll constantly be stumbling upon other alumnae. Even if you might not know each other well at first, you’ll have an instant underlying bond, which is such an amazing feeling. When I went on exchange in Vancouver last year, I met all the girls from sorority at the UBC chapter and I instantly felt welcomed and part of the community. 

To find out more about Greek life at McGill, check out this link: https://www.facebook.com/events/1848839705413392/ 

Images obtained from McGill Panhellenic Council

21 year-old McGill Undergraduate student majoring in english drama/theatre with minors in sociology and communications.