“Gert’s ‘Til It Hurts” or “Ace is the Place”?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

In light of recent events that shall not be disclosed here, there has been a shift in drinking trends of McGill students, specifically on Wednesdays. What used to be an obvious choice for everyone, AKA Sangria Wednesdays at Gerts, has been put to the test! Ace Deli and Bar has stormed the student scene with a flurry of good deals and sometimes even free t-shirts. Here are the specs about each bar, so you can make an informed decision this coming Wednesday.

Location

Gertrude’s Student Bar (Gert’s): The heart of the McGill campus, beneath the SSMU building on rue McTavish.

Ace Deli and Bar (Ace): 420 rue Sherbrooke O, right beside the Hilton located just outside the Ghetto.

History

Gert’s: My mom frequented Gert’s during her undergraduate degree at McGill approximately 30 years ago, so you could say it’s a pillar of the McGill social scene.

Ace: Ace is less than a year old. Upside of this is everything is brand new and clean, but the downside is it’s kind of missing the authenticity of sticky floors and wobbly chairs.

Menu

Gert’s: All the greasy pub food you could ever want, and at decent student rates. Grilled cheese, chicken fingers and pizza galore, and you can pair it with a beer or a cocktail without breaking the bank.

Ace: Greasy pub food is here too, but the menu is much more well rounded, appearing to be much more restaurant oriented. You can find full breakfast, lunch or dinner menus, all reasonably priced. There is a rumor that there is more alcohol in Ace’s sangria, but this is unconfirmed.

To sum it up for you, here are the pros and cons of each:

Gert’s

Pros: 

• Mostly McGill students
  • Often holds theme nights
  • Often supporting student associations, clubs or initiatives
  • Inexpensive
  • Close to BDA
  • Open all the time (Study break, anyone?)
  • Friendly student staff

Cons:

• Long lines
  • Not the place to go if you want to branch out of the McGill bubble
  • Open all the time (Must. Resist. The. Study. Break.)
  • Not very much space

A unique item on the Gert’s menu: Caesars topped with skewered grilled cheese and other munchies. 

Ace

Pros:

• Frequented by the public (Yay, new friends!)
  • Spacious, nice ambience
  • New and clean furniture
  • Friendly staff
  • Inexpensive

Cons:

• Outside of the immediate campus/ghetto area
  • Not associated with McGill (No supporting student initiatives)
  • No theme nights

To further help you with your decision, here are some of the opinions of your peers when asked which they prefer:

“Ace has gotten so successful because people needed a change from Gert’s. The sangria is actually sangria and not just juice, and Ace has more space and better ambience.” – Anonymous

“I think the whole “Ace is the place” is going to die down soon. Gert’s is where everyone goes.” – Anonymous

“Ace in the short run. Gert’s has a more sustainable market share over time and will outlast [Ace] or even push it out by next year when a whole new class of students come in.” – Anonymous

“Gert’s ‘til it hurts! I have more experience with good old Gert’s.” – Anonymous

“I’m impartial, depends on where friends are but I’d have to say for longevity’s sake, Gert’s.” – Anonymous

Now that you have an in-depth comparison between the two, you have all the information you need to make an education decision the next time someone asks you “Gert’s ‘til it hurts or Ace is the place?” Choose wisely!

Images are HerCampus McGill Writer Emily Campbell’s and author’s own.

Aspiring writer