This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

The 24 – hour countdown has begun. After what seems like an eternity of planning and organizing, the time has arrived for me to embark on this amazing journey. Geneva, here I come!

It feels like yesterday that I decided to apply to McGill’s exchange program. I was allowed to choose four different schools around the world. I picked Geneva, London, Barcelona, and San Francisco. After anxiously awaiting an answer, I was awarded the opportunity to go on exchange to the University of Geneva in Switzerland.

Trying to stay on top of everything in Montreal, while organizing my accommodation, classes, and life over in Switzerland, I will admit, was no simple task.

Classes do not begin until February 22nd and run until the end of June. I have had plenty of time to look forward to, and think about what the next few months will be like.

Naturally, I am feeling both excited and nervous. Leaving my family once again in Vancouver and my friends in Montreal is suddenly daunting. However, I have never been to Switzerland, and look forward to exploring this new chapter in my life.

I have researched online and looked on Google Earth but obviously I am eager to get over there and finally experience it in person. I welcome the opportunity of being immersed in a new city and culture, different languages, cuisine, climate and, scenery.

Rumour has it Geneva can be pricey at times…a couple people have told me to pop over the border to France to do my grocery shopping! It’s not every day you grocery shop in a different country from the one that you live in…

Another part of my trip that I have been looking forward to is the opportunity to travel. Luckily, travelling around Europe can be done efficiently and cheaply via trains. My list of places to visit is endless and fortunately, I get to experience Europe in both winter and summer due to the dates my exchange semester falls on.  

As an avid skier (yes, I brought my skis all the way from Canada, along with everything else I own!), having the opportunity to ski in Europe will be phenomenal. I am currently planning my first ski trip to Chamonix in France.

Lets not forget the school aspect of exchange. I am taking electives courses at the University of Geneva, which I will pick once I arrive. It will be refreshing to touch on new subjects for a short period of time.

I am keen to settle into classes, and make loads of amazing new friendships. Follow my various adventures and stay tuned for the next Geneva chapter!

Images obtained from:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/37/University_Geneva.jpg

http://www.schooltour.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/geneva3.jpg