Fourth Year Diaries: Frosh

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Upper year students at McGill always seem to remember Frosh as the “best and craziest week of their lives.” I remember uttering this statement myself back in first and second year, and while I still believe it to be partly true, this past Frosh week forced me to reflect on my four years at McGill. While I cannot deny the fun that my first-year-self had chugging beers and trying to sneak into the night events with the underage black (read: plague) bracelet on my arm, partaking in Frosh again made me aware of my older, fourth year status. All of the chaos and reflection of Frosh has led me to create a summary of a few aspects (both good and bad) of this first weekend back to school.

The Theme
On every Frosh application, prospective Frosh Leaders and O-staff members are asked to give a suggestion of a theme they think would be appropriate for Frosh. I am personally always a fan of the themes that have Frosh incorporated into the name, and spend far too much time last year thinking of a theme that falls into this category. My own suggestion was Frosh Prince of Bel-Air, so you can imagine my excitement when the announcement email was sent saying that firstly I will be a part of O-staff, and that the theme was Frosh Prince of Bel-Arts. Most Frosh themes somehow end up circling back to either the 90s or tight and bright, which made this theme perfect. Having been born in the early 90s I thought that the theme would be relatable to all Frosh Leaders and O-staff, but maybe not to the ‘Froshies”, who I tend to assume are a decade younger than myself and must therefore fail to understand any 90s pop-culture references.

Night Events
Night events are a place where no older students should be allowed, considering the golden rule of Frosh-leading or O-stafffing (do not hook up with the Froshies). As tempting as it is to kiss a toddler, the night events are often much more fun for the students actually participating in Frosh, as it is a time for them to really get to know each other very well (if you know what I mean). The night events, that mostly take place at clubs, were largely what made me feel ancient in comparison to the Froshies. This fact is mostly because I only made it to one of the four night events, after falling asleep too early or preferring to stay home and watch a movie with my friends after a long day of drinking on lower field. While some of the leaders and O-staff members look forward to the end of Frosh because it’s officially all over and the froshies are now fair game, I was looking forward to going home and not having to start drinking the next day at 11:00.

Beach Day
Beach Day is the one Frosh event that is most likely more enjoyed by the leaders and O-staff than the Froshies themselves and is relatable to Power Hour during Carnival (aka the best event). In my Frosh year I didn’t make it to Beach Day because nothing seemed more unappealing than lying in the sun on a beach when I was hungover. I wish that someone had explained to me three years ago that Beach Day is so much more than lying in the sand, so I would have gotten myself out of bed at 9am and enjoyed the greatest part of Frosh. The past two years that I’ve been involved in Frosh (as a leader and then O-staff) I was smart enough to drag myself out of sleep and onto the hour and a half bus ride to experience a day of drinking, dancing, drinking, and splashing around like children. This year Beach Day really took it out of me (note to self: it is wise to eat something before consuming seven or eight drinks) and by the time I walked off the bus I was ready for a solid 12-hour sleep. Beach Day is easily the best part of Frosh, and is something that every student at McGill should experience, whether as a freshman or as a senior.

Overall, Frosh is (hopefully) a happy memory for most students at McGill, and there is always an opportunity to try and redo it after first year by getting involved as a Frosh leader or O-staff. While I may complain about feeling old, I have to admit that Frosh is always fun and all three times that I’ve been involved have been positive experiences. While there is nothing quite like a student’s first time doing Frosh, there are many more insane weekends at McGill that are enjoyed by all age groups. With the insanity of my final Frosh behind me, I only get more excited for more old age friendly weekends such as Halloween and St. Patrick’s Day.

Olivia Lifman is in her final year at McGill University, where she is completing an Honours BA in English Literature with a minor concentration in International Relations. Passionate about writing, reading, and the Arts, she is the Editor-in-Chief of both Her Campus McGill and McGill's English Department's Undergraduate Academic Journal, The Channel, as well as a literacy tutor. She has coached tennis for five years and is an avid haf-marathon runner. Olivia is very much looking forward to extending McGill's campus beyond its university borders and into the city of Montreal at large as she works more closely with Her Campus this year.