Five Montreal Vegetarian Restaurants

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

When people think of Montreal cuisine, they often think of poutine and smoked meat, neither of which are vegetarian-friendly. In reality, the city is full of vegetarian and vegan restaurants and cafés that are serving up delicious food. Whether you are actually vegetarian or just want a change of pace, here are a few places to explore when you don’t feel like cooking at home.

1.     Lola Rosa (545 Milton) is only a few steps away from the downtown campus, and is a favourite haunt of many McGillians. Of course, now there is also the Lola Express in the SSMU building for those who need a curry fix in a hurry.

2.     Aux Vivres (4631 St. Laurent) is a bit more of an expedition, but well worth a half-hour walk from campus. It is always crowded, and doesn’t take reservations, so expect to wait a few minutes. The Bols are always an excellent bet, and the coconut bacon gets rave reviews.

3.     Crudessence (105 Rachel, 2157 Mackay) is a bit on the expensive side, so it is probably a place to save for special occasions (or perhaps parent visits!). The menu is entirely vegan and raw, and includes everything from sandwiches to sushi to more substantial main dishes like lasagne.

4.     Le Commensal (1204 McGill College, 1720 St. Denis) sells vegetarian meals buffet-style by weight. They’ve recently added “flexetarian buffets,” so if you have a dining companion who is sceptical of entirely vegetarian meals, you’ll both have plenty of options.

5.     Le Cagibi (4590 St. Laurent) is a little corner café full of light, art, and more potted plants than you can shake a stick at. During the day, it is a great study spot, and in the evening, you can often hear local bands performing. The breakfasts are amazing, if you’re looking for a weekend brunch (give the Morning Rumble a try). 

(Photo from: http://www.lecagibi.ca/)