This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Whether it be a roommate, a newly-found best friend, or a group of girls or guys that have been around since Frosh, most first years have people to give gifts to this holiday season. However, new friends merit fun, easy gifts and since most people are on a budget, it’s best to keep things cheap. Read on for some inspiration for great gifts for your new friends. 

1. The Inside Joke Gift

If you have inside jokes with your new friends, this is probably the best and funniest gift to give them. If someone had a bad experience with Jaeger during Frosh week, what better way to bring back old memories then using the bottle as a prop of some sort – or you can just give them a bottle of it and hope their stomach’s memory doesn’t go back too far.

2. For The Hungry One

At this point in the year, everyone has dwindling bank accounts and meal plans. Making yourself and your friend(s) a home cooked meal is a great way to celebrate the season and hopefully comfort everyone enough to make it through finals. Plus, everyone loves food – everyone I’m friends with anyways. If you can’t cook, Montreal has an abundance of restaurants with take out.

3. Everyone Loves Holiday Spirit

Some people may not get around to decorating their doors or rooms for this holiday season, but using wrapping paper to decorate a door is cheap and cute! Christmas lights are great accessories to any dorm room, as is a small Christmas tree. Paper snowflakes are another great alternative as well. Decorating your room for your roommate or your friends’ doors is a surefire way to keep those well-earned friends from first semester.

4. Make (or buy) Holiday Cookies

First year is tough, and McGill’s final schedule and ridiculously short winter break can break anyone’s heart. Holiday cookies always make a great gift and might help with accepting that even after the hell that is called finals week passes, there are only two weeks of actual break before winter term begins. My advice is to make copious amounts of holiday cookies. Meaning many, many cookies. It’s the only way to deal, and is doubly useful as an appropriate gift that all can enjoy.

5. Buy Them a Gift Card to SAQ

When in doubt, alcohol never disappointed anyone. Plus, with a gift card they can choose what they want to drink this holiday season. Cheers all around. 

Images obtained from:

http://blog.dormify.com/on-campus/5-gifts-for-your-friends-under-20

http://www.health.com/health/recipe/0,,00420000008734,00.html

Kelly is currently a Second Year with Advanced Standing at McGill University studying History, Business Management, and Psychology. She loves everything food related, and has her own food blog in the works.