Falling into October: The 8 Best Things About Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

September is finally over, and with the start of October, we can be certain that it is officially one of the best times of the year: fall. The doorway into the holiday season, fall is a reminder that change is good, necessary, and often incredibly beautiful. If you’re still reminiscing about days spent on the lake in the summer sun, here are the eight best things about fall to remind you of all the reasons that make this season better than the rest. 

1: Sweater Weather

The cold front that brought an end to the hot and sticky summer weather that Montreal endured for most of September was readily embraced by most of the community this past week. It doesn’t truly feel like fall until you can snuggle up in a jacket and safely drink a hot latte without feeling like you’re baking in a toasty oven. The cool breeze that filtered through the windows meant finally being able to sleep under a cocoon of blankets without suffocating and walking to class without breaking a sweat – something I’m sure we all appreciate.

2: Pumpkin Everything

Of course, there’s the beloved pumpkin spice latte we’ve all grown to know and love, but there’s also pumpkin bread, cookies, pie, and even cheesecake. If you want your favorite food but with a seasonal touch, Pinterest probably has you covered with a plethora of pumpkin recipes. Not only does fall mean pumpkin spice flavored everything, but also ’tis the season of pumpkin carving. Bring on the pumpkin patches and jack-o-lanterns!

3: Thanksgiving

There’s not a whole lot of things better in this world than dressing up, eating a ton of food, and being with your family all at the same time. Not only that, but Thanksgiving marks the beginning of the holiday season with Halloween and Christmas soon to follow. It’s the start of a three-month-long period of fun festivities, family events, and lots of delicious food. What am I thankful for this and every year? Turkey, stuffing, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, and every kind of pie under the sun.

4: The Foliage

Even the biggest naysayers of fall can’t deny that there is something satisfying about the foliage being scarlet and gold for a few weeks. It’s as if the world is on fire after basking in the hot summer sun for too long. Of course, no one likes raking them up, but, in the days before they drop, the multitude of brilliant coloured leaves hanging on to the branches by threads truly make for magnificent scenery and aesthetic Instagram pictures. 

5: Fall Fashion

Now that summer has officially come to an end, it’s time to pull out all your warm clothes: chunky sweaters, riding boots, oversized knit scarves, and flannels in every colour combination possible. There’s something about fall fashion that screams “I’m cozy and cute” – a show-stopping combination. Forget wearing simple tank tops to try and beat the heat, layering not only means guaranteed warmth, but you can also wear all your favourite pieces in one outfit. It’s true what they say – cooler weather does bring hotter fashion! 

6: Halloween

A foolproof excuse to binge eat candy, dress up as your favourite TV show character, and throw a themed party – it’s practically impossible not to love Halloween. Dressing up in full costume means exercising your creativity to its full potential and reliving your childhood by playing make-believe for a night, guaranteeing that it’s not just a holiday for kids. It’s practically impossible to outgrow Halloween, so you can enjoy it this year and every year afterwards. 

7: Fall Activities

Nothing screams fall like spending the day picking apples in an orchard, enjoying a hayride, or navigating your way out of a corn maze. Fall activities are not only fun, but they’re a good way to spend the last few weekends before snow will blanket the earth and require any outdoor pastimes to be done in full protective snowsuit gear. 

8: Dark Lips & Nails

While it’s perfectly acceptable to wear these colours all year round, the season of fall gives maroon, black, navy, and eggplant purple an unfailing reason to take over the colour spotlight. Nothing will make you feel like you have your life together in the midst of midterms and hours spent cooped in the library than a good coat of lipstick and a fresh manicure.

Images obtained from:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a8/05/67/a80567e8700132ca7fc18bcc29d2c69e.jpg

https://static.tumblr.com/e73619d1504db1e131fe9eed36d1a1c9/urly8rq/8rBoay5ur/tumblr_static_tumblr_static_1baixzxlza80sow0g4k8gk0ow_640.jpg

https://media.tenor.com/images/d9fe201e3c1f09af4e2c78f9c96c0d9e/tenor.gif

Steph is a second-year student at McGill University, who splits her time outside of Montreal equally between the sunshine of Texas and the snow-capped Rockies of Alberta. When not studying or writing blog posts she enjoys making home films of her friends and their adventures, creating a ridiculous amount playlists on Spotify, or binge-watching Jamie Oliver's cooking channel (all with endless cups of coffee in hand).  Follow her personal blog for sporadic posts and videos about the current state of her life, her Spotify for playlists that can apply to every aspect of life, her Instagram for up-to-date snapshots of what she's doing, and her Twitter for pictures of cute pups and other relevant, overcaffeinated content. 
Originally from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Gabrielle is a fourth year student at McGill University. She watches a lot (some might say too much TV) and has gotten into screaming matches over movies. In her spare time, she enjoys being utterly self-deprecating. For clever tweets, typically composed by her favorite television writers, follow her twitter. For overly-posed (but pretending not to be) photographs follow her Instagram.