This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

School is back in full swing and the back-to-school stress is already piling up. We’ve already got papers to write, tests to study for, and projects to finish. On top of that, the warm, golden days are ending, and we’ve already started reminiscing about the summer days. Despite the lack of enthusiasm for the impending cold, there’s still one thing that can warm our hearts with excitement right around this season: the fashion weeks!

With all Fashion Weeks coming to a wrap, us collegiettes have more to review than just schoolwork. Didn’t have time to watch just about every show that you’ve been waiting for because of school? Don’t worry because Her Campus McGill has got you covered with its first back-to-school fashion week review. Continue reading for Fall Beauty Must-Haves from NYFW 2015.     

(From left to right: Christopher Kane, Derek Lam, Tommy Hilfiger, Mary Katrantzou)

1. Choker

You might be familiar with the ‘back to the 90s’ street fashion trends by now with many popular Instagrammers, bloggers and even the “2-cool-4-school” hipsters at your school rocking the tennis skirts, knee socks and chokers quite regularly. New York Fashion Week just made it official: a choker is a must-have item for fall, as it has appeared in numerous shows from Christopher Kane to Derek Lam,  and even Tommy Hilfiger (pictured above). Chokers can help you achieve a completely different look by instantly adding a touch of rebellious and gothic vibes. As you can see, many models from different shows had their chic-goth look effortlessly styled with a choker. We suggest you invest in a simple black choker to coordinate with just about any classic trench coat for fall.

2. Neutral Makeup

Have you seen any shows from NYFW?! If you have, it is a no-brainer that this season is all about that natural look with a completely neutral palette. So ladies, it’s time to give up your golden, sun-kissed look for a much cleaner and polished one. It was as if all designers teamed up and decided to give this season a much lighter beauty look as is evident in Versus, Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, Rodarte, Tommy Hilfiger, Proenza Shouler, and many, many other shows. Of course, if you’re going for a classic Michael Kors-esque look, allow yourself a light drop of golden bronze just on your cheeks. But don’t forget, the key words here are “dewy,” “warm,” and “pink-brown.”

(From Left to Right: Versus, Ralph Lauren, Rodarte, Proenza Shouler)

3. Red Lips

This may sound a bit contradictory to the above-mentioned “neutral makeup” look, but the only lipstick colour that was allowed on most shows this season, other than a nude-tone, was the occasional bright red. Red added a dash of colour, and brought the often all-natural and nude makeup to life. So if you get bored of the everyday “au-naturel” look this season, red lipstick just might be the simple, yet perfect solution. See pictures below from DKNY, Oscar de la Renta, and Victoria Beckham.

4. Natural, brushed up hair

(From left to right: Calvin Klein, Jenny Peckham, Derek Lam)

Although we’re kissing the sun-kissed makeup routine goodbye this season, one thing we cannot give up from summer is the hair. Naturally parted, brushed up hair that reminds us of summer was a popular choice among designers at NYFW, including Calvin Klein, Prabal Gurung, Jenny Packham, Derek Lam, Victoria Beckham, and many more. Just like your makeup, keep your hair as natural-looking as possible. Add a little bit of hair gel to give it a slightly wet, fresh-out-of-the-shower look, or sea salt spray to give it a bit of texture. Don’t forget to keep your hair nice and healthy, of course!

5. Bold earrings

Another accessory that we are keeping this season are the bold statement earrings. Ever since Dior came out with its signature “ball earrings,” statement earrings have officially become a popular trend on and off the runway, and it seems like they’re good to go for another season. You can spot the different kinds of statement earrings in Derek Lam, Alexander Wang, Tommy Hilfiger, Jeremy Scott, and even Oscar de la Renta. You can also take notes from Givenchy on other bold jewelry choices!

(From left to right: Alexander Wang, Oscar de la Renta, Tommy Hilfiger, Givenchy)

All photos obtained from: 

http://www.vogue.co.uk/beauty/2015/09/14/spring-summer-2016-hair-and-mak…

http://www.vogue.co.uk/fashion/spring-summer-2016/ready-to-wear/givenchy…

http://www.vogue.co.uk/fashion/spring-summer-2016/ready-to-wear/alexande…

Averie Hah

McGill '17

Digital marketer, social media enthusiast writer, feminist, leader in training. Recent Marketing and Economics graduate of McGill. A social media enthusiast  - Instagram addict @ave.hah  - Tumblr junkie here  - See my other work here