Exploring Montreal on a Budget: Free Things to do this November

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

As we approach the end of the fall semester, many of us are feeling the effects of a tight student budget and far, far, too much money spent on coffee. But before exam season is upon us, and the library becomes our second home, check out some of these wonderful (and FREE!) things to do this November in Montreal.

1. The Montreal Museum of Fine Arts’ Big Bang exhibition
Located at the Jean-Noël Desmarais Pavilion (Level 3), this exhibition is receiving awesome reviews. With free admission until January 22nd, this exciting multidisciplinary event showcases the work of twenty talented artists who were given carte blanche to create their installations. Each work is based on a piece of the artist’s own choosing from the Museum’s collection. The theme of the exhibit is “to renew and reinvent it […and thus] to conserve the works of yesterday that inspire the artists of today.” There is something for everyone here: from graffiti-like mural art to a choreographer’s photography to video work. As always, the museum’s permanent collection remains free too. Their current showings include Michael Merrill’s paintings, inspired by the architecture of the Museum’s new pavilion, Dorothea Rockburne’s first Canadian retrospective, In My Mind’s Eye, and an installation by Quebec artists Louis Couturier and Jacky Georges Lafargue, called Resolute Bay. Check out a video of the Big Bang exhibition here

2. Battat Contemporary
Until December 17th, Canadian artist Sophie Jodoin’s provocative “I felt a cleaving in my mind / J’ai senti une fissure dans mon esprit,” is showing at Battat Contemporary close to the Jean Talon Market. 

3. The Museé d’art Contemporain’s Quebec Triennial: The Work Ahead of Us  
The museum has free entry every Wednesday evening, and during this event, its entirety will house many young Quebec artists that contributed to this large exhibition. There are also some free events in this series that feature Montreal artists and musicians, such as Dominique Pétrin and Georges Rebboh on November 16th who perform under hypnosis, as well as Julie Favreau on November 30th.

4. Expozine
Now in its 10th year, Expozine, Montreal’s two-day small press fair, is one of the largest of its kind in North America; it brings together over 270 creators of all different types of publications. Although it can be easy to spend some money on the incredible books, comics, zines, poster arts and crafts, you can also just go to see the unique showcase of these publications. This year, Expozine will be on November 26-27 from noon to 6pm at 5035 St. Dominque (Église Saint-Enfant Jésus, Laurier Métro). 

5. The Santa Claus Parade
On November 19th, Montreal’s own Santa Claus Parade will make its way along Saint-Catherine from du Fort to Saint-Urbain. The event has taken place every year since 1925, and in the spirit of tradition, a little holiday cheer before exams never hurt anybody! 

Sources:
MMFA
Battat Contemporary
MACM
Expozine

Olivia Lifman is in her final year at McGill University, where she is completing an Honours BA in English Literature with a minor concentration in International Relations. Passionate about writing, reading, and the Arts, she is the Editor-in-Chief of both Her Campus McGill and McGill's English Department's Undergraduate Academic Journal, The Channel, as well as a literacy tutor. She has coached tennis for five years and is an avid haf-marathon runner. Olivia is very much looking forward to extending McGill's campus beyond its university borders and into the city of Montreal at large as she works more closely with Her Campus this year.
Sofia Mazzamauro, born and raised in Montreal, is majoring in English Cultural Studies and minoring in Communication and Italian Studies. Along with being the editor-in-chief of Her Campus McGill, she is a writer for Leacock’s online magazine’s food section at McGill University and the editor of the Women’s Studies Undergraduate Interdisciplinary Journal. After graduation, she aspires to pursue a career in lifestyle magazine writing in Montreal.