The Exchange Diaries: Reflections on My Time Here So Far

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

I’m loving my experience here. The snow, the people, the queues at Tim Hortons, the cold and the fact that students studying in Bronfman never leave Bronfman. Sad really, as I wish to explore other buildings in McGill and I always end up doing it on my own. However, now I understand “Bronfmanites” and “Bronfman High” jokes. People sometimes give me this weird stare when I tell them I study management. This might be due to the fact that I usually meet people elsewhere in McGill, like McLennan or Trottier instead of the second floor of Bronfman. Let me be clear: I have nothing against management students or their preferences as to where to study or just meet up with people. I’m simply not comfortable with the idea that some students are happy not knowing there’s more outside the four walls that surround their classrooms. But I do have to admit that the second floor of Bronfman is really comfy for studying in a chillax mood and also you get to meet a lot of people there from your classes. So yes, I do fall into the trap and end up studying there as well; pity me.

Other than that little detail, I love McGill. Not only is it really diverse but its also full of really nice people. I love to the welcoming feeling it has and how everyone is willing to lend you a hand when you ask for one. Maybe I’m wrong and I was just lucky, but that’s how I feel and so far it’s helped with my exchange experience. I’ve even had conversation with students on the streets, although I have to confess that at first I found this a bit awkward as I was not used to it at all. Now I just love it when people are that nice, also because it’s a huge help when it comes to making friends and making this experience a really fulfilling one. Please, random people on the street (especially in the Y-intersection) keep talking to strangers, don’t listen to your mom’s advice – she probably isn’t Canadian. 

Also, I have to say I love your sense of humour. It might be -10ºC but there’s probably someone who’s terribly underdressed for the season as a result of a prank, a bet or simply for a good cause. This also relates to the way you treat one another. It seems so relaxed, so accepting and non-judgmental. As a girl, I don’t feel so much pressure as to how should I look or act, but rather go with the motto: “just be yourself and people will come to you”. Again, maybe it’s just me, as I personally give less importance to what people think as time goes by. By the way, I highly recommend this attitude. Not only will you live happier but it’ll also give you the chance to learn and get to know yourself: your virtues, flaws and limitations, without having someone else pointing at them for you (half of the time they are wrong). So far, going on exchange has also been an amazing experience and way of gaining insight into yourself. This is the most important lesson of all, as it is something that will help you carry your baggage the rest of your life. Also, do not forget to smile, no matter what’s going on in your life, simply smile. It always helps, gives you another perspective and brightens up someone else’s day.

On a less personal and psychological note, McGill has also proven itself to be a pain in the ass when it comes to studies. Let me explain: I, like most students, hate studying. I do realize that that’s what university is all about. Nevertheless, most exchange students here are on a pass-fail basis. Then why am I complaining? Well, because my university back home isn’t that understanding. I’m graded. This makes my time here less…well, can’t say “not fun,” as I party as much as anyone or maybe even more, so I guess the words I’m looking for are “less stressful”. I have as many responsibilities as a full-time student, only without knowledge about the university and how it works (administration, grading system, etc).

Every weekend I wonder whether to party or to study. I do realize that this is a normal debate for any university student, whether on exchange or not. Nevertheless, I’m here for a year, so there’s a time limit for partying, travelling and attending certain events. In effect, I feel pressure to do many things during this exchange. Not only do I not have enough time to do them all, but also studies and travelling have to share the little time I have left. It’s every exchange student’s dilemma. You, reader, might understand where I’m coming from with this, or you will if you do an exchange program. 

In conclusion: keep being awesome, talk to strangers at the Y-intersection, be yourself, smile, laugh, help exchange students (thank you in advance!) and I hope I get the chance to meet as many of you as possible!

Until next time!