The Exchange Diaries: iWeek hype and “Hips Don’t Lie”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

I am the Exchange VP for MISN. It might be a lot of work, meetings, events, etc. but I don’t regret it one bit. It’s one of the most fulfilling things I’ve ever signed up for. I get to meet really interesting people on a daily basis, the meeting are full of ideas and interesting comments as well as a good vibe… I even signed up for office hours, because I can’t get enough of it! I know that I’ll miss the execs here when I go back, but I charish every moment I’m with them. Who wouldn’t? They are the best friends one could ask for.

Furthermore, right now we’re organizing Passport to Party, a huge event held in SSMU building. We only have a few days to make sure everything is organized and well on the way (it’s on the 22nd of February) and as the days go by the tension rises alongside our desires to party. I’m very excited for this event, as I’ll be the host that night. That’s right, I’ll be up there, with a microphone, cracking some jokes, trying to be funny, and avoiding being like Ricky Gervais at the 2012 Golden Globes. In other words, I’ll try to be as politically correct as I can possibly be. I’m nervous, I can’t deny it, I cringe with the thought of being up there having everyone with their eyes locked on me. Funny thing really, I’m the most extrovert, outgoing, crazy person you will meet. However, the moment I have to be filmed for something, be on stage or talk to a group of people, I become the most horribly introverted person to ever set foot on this world. I guess I’m afraid of the spotlight, which is ironic as I get enough attention without it (something I don’t understand as well). 

Moreover, I promised to dance to Shakira’s “Hips Don’t Lie” if 250 people show up to the event. Well “promised.” It started off as a joke, but it blew out of proportions on Facebook, so now I’m bound to do it. Again, I don’t feel uncomfortable dancing the “Macarena” at the club with my friends, whether they join in or not, but this scares me to death. Nevertheless, I will do it. It’ll feel weird, uncomfortable even, but I’ll do it either way. I’m mostly afraid of what others will think or what image I will portray by dancing it. Also, I don’t think of myself as half as sexy as Shakira. However, I shouldn’t care what others think and I believe that bravery comes from pushing your fears aside. So, even though I’m terrified of going on stage and making a fool of myself, I know that it’ll be a funny anecdote to tell in 10 years’ time. Besides, I don’t want to regret not doing it.

Besides that, iWeek is coming up. Another reason why I love McGill: so many people from so many cultures are willing to get together to teach each other about their differences and similarities. It’s an amazing learning opportunity as well as a chance to meet interesting people and embrace other cultures. I find these sort of events a wonderful thing as well as a chance to learn how open you can be. It puts your geographic, cultural, sociological and other abilities to the test. It also makes you realize how small you are. Don’t get me wrong, by small I don’t mean insignificant – far from it. By small I mean that you get to see how little or unimportant your problems and issues are, when you compare them to other problems worldwide. For example, in my case, the Spanish economy isn’t at its best and everybody knows it. It not only affects my people, but this situation affects me personally. However, this situation, from a global perspective, is not as bad as the student riots in Venezuela or Ukraine (which, by the way, have my support). It’s also an opportunity to boast about your country, to know more where you’re from by answering about other peoples’ questions. 

Maybe it’s my inner geek that loves these sorts of events because she gets to learn in a more practical way. Also, it’s about learning interesting facts that you can’t find in the books. So, overall, to me at least, it seems like a good deal. Can’t wait for it to start.

I hope your week goes wonderfully and I hope to see you at Passport to Party. If you’re going or know someone who is and you’re reading this, tell them or stop and say “hi”. I would love to meet those who read this blog, as from my point of view it just seems like a rant.

Until next time, take care.

Laugh. Live. Love.