Popcorn
Popcorn
Sara Carte / Spoon

Easy Low Prep Study Snacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Reading week is almost here, so give it your last push! While studying for midterms or finishing up papers, your brain needs all the energy it can get. If you like to de-stress while meal prepping or cooking, that’s amazing; but if you’re like me, you get even more stressed because you think about all the time you’re wasting. To solve that dilemma, here are some super easy no or low prep snacks to get you through the week!

1. Almonds

Almonds
Torey Walsh / Spoon

Buy some from the grocery store and bring a bag with you to the library. That’s it. You can get chocolate covered almonds (my favorite), salted almonds, etc. They keep you full and contain lots of healthy fats.

2. Fruit

Apples Mixed Kristine Mahan
Kristine Mahan / Spoon

It’s so easy to grab an apple or banana on your way out the door, so this will take literally no time. Plus, you’re getting in your one serving a day and some vital nutrients.

3. Dark Chocolate

Chocolate Chips
Christin Urso / Spoon

Luckily, many of the vending machines on campus have dark chocolate. There’s also tons of sales going on post-Valentine’s day! Dark chocolate gives you antioxidants and natural stimulants to keep you awake and focused.

4. Popcorn

Popcorn
Sara Carte / Spoon

All you need to do is pick up a bag from the super market, Jean Coutu, or a vending machine to get this munchy, low-calorie snack. To reduce waste, you can buy large family-size bags and fill smaller reusable bags with them. This is perfect when you’re not super hungry, but really want to munch on something. 

5. Granola Bars

Quinoa
Christin Urso / Spoon

This is a classic. With so many different options out there, you’re bound to find a brand/flavor you like. Try to find ones low in added sugar and with unprocessed ingredients!

Melody Zhou

McGill '22

Melody Zhou is a U2 student from Boston, Massachusetts. She is studying cognitive science at McGill University with a focus in computer science and neuroscience. She is passionate about medicine and hopes to attend medical school to eventually pursue a career in pediatrics. In her free time, she enjoys playing volleyball and spending time with her dog.