Dining in Darkness: O. Noir Restaurant

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

For me, the first weeks of school don’t only mean going back to readings and labs and all those things that make us wish for summer, but it also means that I get to see my friends again. Summer is great for relaxing and catching up with people back home, but it also makes me long for what I have here in Montreal. Last Thursday when my friends and I got together for lunch, we decided to do something new to celebrate getting back together again.

Being the adventurers we are, we decided to go to a restaurant, but not just any restaurant. We chose to dine in complete darkness at the restaurant O.Noir.

The concept of the restaurant comes from a blind pastor from Zurich named Jorge Spielmann. Spielmann would blindfold his guests at dinner so they could share his eating experience. In 1999 he started a restaurant called “Blindekuh,” which means Blind Cow in German.  Its aim wasn’t only to teach the sighted about the sightless world, but also to provide jobs to the blind. The waiters are all legally blind and they know the layout of the restaurant very well. This concept also forms the idea behind O.Noir in Montreal.

We went online to read about what people were saying about the place, but nothing really prepares you for the experience. When we arrived at the restaurant, we were greeted by our waiter Matt and we had to order before entering the dining room. They offer two and three course meals and also a variety of drinks. If you’re feeling very adventurous they also have surprise starters, main dishes and desserts. Their menu can be found on their website, however there isn’t many options. Yet they do accomodate for most people and have vegetarian options. If you decide to get the surprise dish they make sure it contains nothing that your allergic to or cannot eat.  You also have to put anything that can give light into a locker they provide for you. That puts an end to texts interrupting dinner conversations!

After the introduction, Matt told us to hold on to his shoulders and follow him into the seating area, which was completely dark. Matt knew where to go and led each of us to our seats. As you might imagine, it wasn’t very easy to eat anything at the beginning. The one thing they remind you at all times is to forget all manners. Since nobody can see what you are doing or eating, including you, diving into the meal with your hands is completely acceptable! The meat dish that I ordered was very flavorful, as were the pasta my friends got, yet the fish another friend ordered was a little bit bland. However they did make up for that with their desserts. The tiramisu was especially wonderful, and the cheesecake and dark chocolate terrine were also delicious.  

Dining in the dark was unlike anything you have ever done before. It is a great way to enjoy your meal without checking your phone every five minutes, but you also lose track of time. Also, say goodbye to all the cool Instagram pictures you wanted to share.  

I would have loved to tell you all about what the place looked like, if I liked the way they decorated it or not, or if my filet mignon was plated as well as it tasted.  But unfortunately I can’t. All I can tell you is that it was a one-of-a-kind experience and everybody should give it a try.

Images obtained from: http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g155032-d795081-Reviews-O_Noir_Restaurant-Montreal_Quebec.htmlhttp://www.restomontreal.ca/en/1897/ONoir-Onoirhttp://www.egomagonline.com/category/lifestyle-entertainment/lounges-and-find-dinning/