photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

Damn That’s Weird: 7 Random Things I Learned on the Internet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

During the highs and lows of last semester, I spent many-a-nights struggling to sleep as my flatmate yelled ‘I HAVE NO AMMO’ to his fellow Fortnite players (thanks Ryan!). During this time, I somehow managed to delve into some weird corners of the internet. Although some were very disturbing, I came across many interesting and weird articles. I compiled them in one (rather useless) list to share with those who, like myself, suffer from insomnia (whether Fortnite-related or not!). I’m sure you’ll thank me later :) 

Sections include: 1) The Undecipherable Book 2) The Lost City of Jordan 3) There is an Afghan Singer who Looks Like Trudeau 4) There is a Blind Woman who can Predict the Future 5) Trisha Paytas Wrote a Song about Jesus 6) Spiderman has One Very Horrendous Brow (Somebody Call James Charles)!

1) The Undecipherable Book 

The Voynich Manuscript is a 600-year-old book containing 246 pages of bound vellum. To this day, scientists and linguists have been unable to ‘crack the code’ behind its writing system. Within the book, there are doodles of castles, dragons, strange plants, planets and plenty of naked figures. In fact, one passage shows a load of naked women bathing in pools of interconnected green liquid (National Geographic, 2018). Many people believe that the manuscript discusses magical or scientific concepts, including herbal, astronomical, biological and pharmaceutical recipes. However, to this day, nobody has been able to translate the manuscript (although new studies suggest that AI may be able to ‘crack the code’). Check out some of the weird stuff in the Voynich Manuscript!

2) The Lost City of Jordan 

If you’re anything like me, any news about abandoned places left frozen in time sparks a thrill of excitement! Well, one weird (ancient) abandoned city exists in Jordan. The Lost City of Jordan – or Petra – is carved directly into the vibrant sandstone cliff faces of Jordan. It is located in an incredibly hostile area, surrounded by desert, canyons and mountains. It is thought that Petra was once a buzzing centre for trade between 400 B.C and A.D 106 (National Geographic, 2018). This city has sat in ruin for centuries and was lost to the Western world until the 1800s, when a European traveller discovered it. In 2007, it was named one of the new Seven Wonders of the world.

By looking at the photos alone, the difference between building-to-human is so great that it’s hard to imagine how a civilisation could have carved out such huge space with so much detail. In fact, it would be impossible to make such a structure today. This has led some to argue that giants once roamed the land and carved these large structures (tsh, yeah right!). As ‘compelling’ as it seems, I find it difficult to believe such a theory. Despite this, nobody knows quite exactly who built it, what the buildings were for and why they were abandoned. Will such questions ever be answered? Probably not! But that won’t stop us from marvelling at the amazing sight!:

3) There is an Afghan Singer who Looks Like Trudeau 

Unless you have been living under a rock, you have probably heard of the Afghan singer Abdul Salam Maftoon who is the splitting image of Trudeau! Could it be that Trudeau is the next Hannah Montana – a prime minister by day, but a glorified star by night? I hope he has the amazing wardrobe to come with it!:

A David Schwimmer doppelgänger was also recently spotted in a sketchy area of England stealing beer. Who knows, maybe Trump is creating clones!:

4) There is a Blind Woman Who can Predict the Future 

Have you heard of the blind woman who predicted the future? Baba Vanga was born in 1911 in Bulgaria. According to Baba Vanga herself, she was caught in a tornado as a child that lifted her up into the air and threw her into a field close by. When searchers finally found her, her eyes were covered with sand and dust. She was unable to open her eyes because of the pain. Since her family was poor, they could only afford partial operations to heal Baba Vanga’s injuries. This led to her gradual blindness. It was this accident that gave Baba Vanga the ability to possess ‘paranormal powers’ and gave her the ability to predict the future. According to sources, Baba Vanga predicted the break-up of the Soviet Union, the Chernobyl disaster, the date of Stalin’s death, the September 11 attacks and tensions with North Korea. Some even claim that Baba Vanga predicted Brexit before her death in 1996 (although she predicted Brexit (or the end of Europe) by the end of 2016.).

In 1989, she predicted an attack on the United States: 

“Horror, horror! The American brothers will fall after being attacked by the steel birds. The wolves will be howling in a bush, and innocent blood will be gushing.”

—Predicted in 1989 by Baba Vanga

Despite this, Baba Vanga has also made many false predictions:

1. She incorrectly predicted a nuclear war from 2010 – 2014
  2. She incorrectly predicted that the 1994 Fifa World Cup Final would be played with two teams beginning with B
  3. The end of Europe would occur by the end of 2016
  4. The 44th President (I.e. Obama) would be the last president of the USA. 

Therefore, we can ask whether Baba Vanga really did possess any paranormal powers. Regardless, her story still remains interesting and kinda creepy! Below are some photos of Baba Vanga herself:

6) Trisha Paytas Wrote a Song about Jesus:

Trisha Paytas – an internet queen – made an iconic song about Jesus and you should check it out (lol): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLr0lOF685M&t=101s

7) Spiderman has One Very Horrendous Brow (Somebody call James Charles!)

I don’t care if you’re in love with Tom Holland (a.k.a. Marvel’s new spidey-boi) the world seems to be missing out on his terrible brow! Someone get James Charles on the case (please, for my sanity!). 2019 is the year of the brow girls!!!!!

Exhibit A) HIS RIGHT BROW IS SO BAD 

Image Sources:

5ff87132-6196-11e7-b6f8-8145f3f5d431.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

petra-world-heritage-jordan.jpg

shutterstock_303791018.jpg

big_13_excursions_2.jpg

image.jpg

skynews-david-schwimmer_4463438.jpg

1456346313_woman-who-predicted-the-fall-of-the-twin-towers-has-bad-news-for-2016.jpg

d0b5b15d988178acbfba9cd9db4bef64

FrequentGoldenFinnishspitz-max-1mb.gif

Tom-Holland-FFF.jpg