Confessions of a TV Addict: Docu-series, X-Men & Archie Got Hot

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

With the Oscars coming up next weekend, my energies have been focused less on TV and more on trying to will with mind-power a Best Picture win for Moonlight. I seriously doubt that is going to happen, but a girl can dream. In the mean time, I have been up to my usual activity of voraciously absorbing as much great, new TV as possible. The first season of The Young Pope may be over, and it truly was the only good thing to ever exist in my unquestionably small life, but there has been some especially awesome new content lately. So, here is an illumination on all the stuff I have been watching and enjoying. 

• Victoria; Masterpiece (PBS), Sundays at 9 p.m. EST.

Taking over the timeslot previously held by my dear, dear Downton Abbey, this historical drama follows the early reign of a young Queen Victoria and is rather a lovely program (she said like she was about 80-years-old).

Starring Jenna Coleman as the title Queen, Tom Hughes as Prince Albert, and the devastatingly perfect Rufus Sewell as Lord Melbourne, this show checks off all the boxes for “period drama featuring a cast that is a gazillion times more attractive than the actual people were,” which just so happens to be my favourite genre.

The costumes are insanely gorgeous; I am pretty sure Victoria has about 50 different dresses in the first episode alone. The hairstyles, which feature braids that go around women’s ears, are hideous. I am deeply disturbed that the style was something that was considered attractive because just… why? The plot takes a lot of historical liberties, I am assuming anyways, because I highly doubt things were as deliciously soapy in real life. It is a solid period drama with all the right moving parts. (Sidenote: upon looking for images to put in this article, I stumbled upon countless creepy tumblr pages shipping Victoria and Lord M, which was truly the greatest discovery since King Tutankhamun’s tomb.) 10 out 10 Gabbys recommend. 

• Abstract: The Art of Design; Netflix

Netflix and their piles of money (which I assume they swim around in daily á la Scrooge McDuck) cranked out this maddeningly fascinating docu-series about a whole bunch of crazy talented people in the world of design. From interior design to architecture to shoes, it follows one person each episode, how they find inspiration, and do what they do so well.

Since it is about real people doing über cool stuff, you’ll feel like you’re having a pseudo-educational experience and not just wasting your time. I felt inspired to rearrange my coffee table (for the thirteenth time this month) after watching the episode featuring interior designer Ilse Crawford. I wanted to learn how to use more than Word Art after seeing how impressive graphic designer Paula Scher is. Plus, this show made me care about someone designing a car! Me? Care about a car? Yes! Miracles do exist! There are only 8 hour-long episodes and they are all pretty fun. 

• Legion; FX, Wednesdays at 10 p.m. EST.

As someone who has consistently over the past 20-years been fairly nonchalant about superhero stuff, I have been pretty into it as of late. Led by the brilliant Noah Hawley (Fargo), Legion is the latest superhero thing that I am so on-board with. I know nothing about the historiography of such things, but it is being marketed as an X-men spin-off.

Dan “too good for Downton Abbey” Stevens stars as Haller, a man who has been suffering from schizophrenia for his entire life. Though, I cannot possibly imagine why he would want to disassociate himself from the wonderful work he was getting to do on Downton:

Anyways, I would prefer to just leave any plot discussion at the schizophrenia because it is impossible for me to put into words any sort of summary of the first couple episodes. The first episode features silverware flying around a kitchen, body-swapping, and a Bollywood dance number. It is the definition of bananas, but it is somehow flawlessly rendered.

The art direction is a colourful paradise of 1960s-inspired clothing and sets, blended with modern and futuristic elements. It sets up the indecipherable and disorienting experience that is also occurring in the main characters mind.

The supporting cast features a boundlessly fearless performance by Aubrey Plaza, who is functioning on another level. And just off her great work on the second season of Fargo and back in the capable creative hands of Hawley, Jean Smart is also there to chew scenery. If you don’t mind being sort of confused and disturbed, this is definitely the show for you. 

• Chef’s Table: Season 3; Netflix

I am ferociously obsessed with food and wine documentaries, and have genuinely exhausted every single one that is on Netflix, as well as ITV’s The Wine Show (which I mentioned in this article a while ago. Matthew Goode and Matthew Rhys are the two best humans.) I still pick out my wine at the SAQ based on the prettiness of the label, and survive solely off of O% Liberté Greek yogurt, bananas, and those Oasis smoothie drinks, but I appreciate the artistry and complexity of food, even if I don’t practice it. 

Entering into its third season, Chef’s Table is conceptually similar to Abstract, but with chefs and their amazing restaurants and culinary feats. But to get down to brass tacks, this show has the most graphic food porn I have ever seen in my life. The cinematography rivals the work of Emmanuel Lubezki. That is how stunning this show is.

My all-time favourite chef featured will forever and always be Francis Mallman (who gave a great interview with The Talks here), but this season did feature some provocative and engrossing individuals.

From Ivan Orkin, the American who loves the F-word almost as much as he loves Japanese culture and ramen, to Tim Raue, the Berliner who went from street gangs to the kitchen, each story is directed with thoughtfulness and an instrisically curious quality that draws the viewers into the minds of each chef. There are also some brilliantly worded phrases about food and the chefs which I will list below:

“The strands of gluten are gorgeous.” – a food critic in regards to Chef Nancy Silverton’s masterful loaves of bread.

“Don’t think. Just do what you’re told.” – the controversial Chef Tim Raue addressing his kitchen staff.

“And I f*cked him. The whole day.” – Chef Tim Raue discussing how he screwed over the guy he was working with to become head chef at age 23.

This show is gorgeously shot and has given me so many restaurants to add to my food bucket list. Catch up on just this season, or the first two as well. Do whatever you want. I’m not your mom.

• Riverdale; The CW, Thurdays at 9 p.m. EST. (On Canadian Netflix the day after the episode airs.)

Riverdale is being lauded as Twin Peaks meets like regular CW teen show. It is based around the characters from the comic series which began in 1941. However, this is not your grandparents’ Archie.

It’s Archie, but sexy! And with murder! Pop culture references that would make the Gilmore Girls say “calm down, already”! The hottest guy on the show is only 19! There is just a lot happening here.

All of the original Archie Comics characters are here, Betty, Veronica, Jughead (played by Suite Life of Zach and Cody gem Cole Sprouse), but also heavily features the parents and lots of dishy goings-on surrounding them.

Mädchen Amick plays Betty Cooper’s controlling, over-bearing mom and she is freaking flawless at delivering sick burns left and right. You know, Mädchen’s got such a nice career. She was on American Horror Story, Gilmore Girls, Twin Peaks, as well as one of the many women that Jon Hamm slept with on Mad Men (Obligatory Jon Hamm reference. © 2017 Gabrielle Lee Gabauer).

The plot centralizes around the July 4th murder of Riverdale High’s quarterback, and pretty much every person on the show is suspect in some way. There are weekly song-and-dance numbers featuring Josie and the Pussycats, students sleeping with teachers, shirtless Archie (because, remember, he’s hot now!), and multiple references to Quentin Tarantino that warm my cinephile heart.

Anyways, this show is sort of silly, but it’s a nice little escape from the blistering hellscape that is watching the news.

• Big Little Lies; HBO, Sundays at 9 p.m. EST

I will have seen this by the time you are reading this, but at the time of writing this I have not seen it yet.

However, Reese Witherspoon! Laura Dern! All episodes being directed by the incomparable Jean-Marc Vallée! Adam Scott (I saw him in an airport once)! Nicole Kidman’s immovable face!

This show is startingly on-brand for me and the book by Liane Moriarty was brilliant. I am indescribably excited for some more high-trash TV from HBO. (RIP The Young Pope until they film the next season).

So, yeah (arguably the best way to begin to end every presentation/conversation/article ever). This was my semi-coherent shriek into the abyss about the shows I have been escaping into as of late. Do not devalue the importance of escapism right now, or ever. Stay informed. Stay vigilant. But never act like you are above mentally decompressing, if only for an hour or two. *Gets off soapbox.*

I hope you enjoy my recommendations and fall into the world of some food, art, or Dan Steven’s post-“stop associating me with Matthew from Downton Abbey” performance.

Happy watching! xx

Title image obtained from: http://images.spoilertv.com/cache/Riverdale/Season%201/Key%20Art/Riverda…

Originally from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Gabrielle is a fourth year student at McGill University. She watches a lot (some might say too much TV) and has gotten into screaming matches over movies. In her spare time, she enjoys being utterly self-deprecating. For clever tweets, typically composed by her favorite television writers, follow her twitter. For overly-posed (but pretending not to be) photographs follow her Instagram.