Collegiette of the Month: Gabrielle Gabauer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

This month we’d like to introduce you to Gabrielle Gabauer, a U0 student in Management hailing from Pittsburgh, PA. This girl has an amazing sense of style and the sass to match; read on to learn more about her!

Esther Vinarov for Her Campus McGill (HC McGill): Why did you join her campus? 

Gabrielle Gabauer (GG): I have been told an exorbitant amount of times how important it is to get involved with extra-curriculars at university. I was familiar with Her Campus before coming here, but I didn’t know that McGill had its own chapter. When I found out, I knew I had to join. I have always loved writing, and Her Campus McGill is a wonderful way for me to continue doing what I love.

HC McGill: Whas been your personal favorite Her Campus article so far?

GG: Of everything I’ve written, my absolute favorite was my article “High Heels at a Mile High: A Stylish Guide to Flying.” I honestly just had such a blast writing it. They say, “write what you know,” and I know I like to wear overly ostentatious outfits to the airport. Some people are passionate about legitimate social concerns, but people wearing sweatpants in public is a platform I could run the entirety of my future presidential campaign on.

HC McGill: What do you miss most about home?

GG: Before I came to McGill, I could not wait to get out of Pittsburgh. Once I got here, although it is fabulous, there were things I immediately missed about home. I miss my family and friends (it is cliché, but true), Panera Bread Caesar salads, and being able to purchase clothes without taxes. I really miss being in my own room, which I completed renovating last year. I was inspired by the Baz Luhrmann film “Moulin Rouge!” and it is très chic. Lastly, I miss the luxury of being able to wear heels every single day to class. With the omnipresent ice and snow, not only would I ruin my shoes, but I would end up in a Thom Browne body bag.

HC McGill: On the flip side, what’s your favorite thing to do in Montreal?

GG: One of my favorite things to do in general, and in Montreal, is go to the movies (despite the fact that there are way cooler things to do here). There is something about sitting alone in a dark room and shoving popcorn in my face that I find so calming. It is not rare to find me at Cinéma du Parc on a Saturday afternoon. It is a quiet oasis, away from the hustle of the city, where I can be totally alone with my thoughts. I also adore browsing the shoe and handbag departments at Holt & Renfrew. My favorite thing about shopping in Montreal is that these people know how to run a department store and I don’t have “Amber” from the local high school trying to sell me $500 Tom Ford cologne. The people who work at the stores are fashion literate, and I find that so refreshing.

HC McGill: What’s your guilty pleasure TV show?

GG: I watch an obscene, and I mean utterly obscene, amount of television, so I almost consider everything I watch a guilty pleasure TV show. However, I find the whole “Bachelor/Bachelorette” franchise utterly fascinating and dedicate a horrific amount of my time watching young women cry because they didn’t get a rose.

HC McGill: Any ideas what you’re going to do after you graduate?

GG: At this point in my life, I would love to confidently say, “Yes. I know exactly where I see myself.” In all honesty, I have absolutely no clue. I know where my interests and passions lie, I just need to find a career that somehow encapsulates all of them. I know myself well enough to realize that I need to do something creative and hands-on. I do not ever see myself wearing ultra-conservative Banana Republic suits and sensible shoes typing away at a computer from nine to five. I would go mad.

HC McGill: Tell us about your sense of style!

GG: I cannot remember a time when I was not interested in fashion. It has always been something engrained into my being; it feeds my soul. From my haziest, earliest memories, I can recall refusing to let pants come within a hundred yards of my person and naming all of my outfits (“Dorothy Alice Cinderella Sleeping Beauty Princess” was a favorite of mine.). I am embarrassed to admit that I still name my ensembles. When I put together my outfit every day, there is always some kind of an inspiration. Most are derived from novels, films, TV shows, or popular culture, but I can find inspiration in anything. Growing up in one of the worst dressed cities in the US, it is near impossible to find fashion influence in my everyday life. I have always dressed differently from the average person walking down the street in Pittsburgh, and I still do. It is something that during my freshman year of high school, I attempted to change. I tried to dress more casual and I hated myself for it. It was not who I was and I didn’t feel comfortable. It was then that I decided I would never again apologize for dressing how I like. In regards to my specific sense of style, quite simply, I wear clothes that make me happy (which ironically entails lots and lots of black). If I want to wear five-inch heels, a faux-fur vest, and a massive felt hat to the grocery store, I will do it (and I have).

Speed Round:

Cats or dogs: Holly Golightly had a cat in Breakfast at Tiffany’s, so definitely cats.

Favorite froyo toppings: I like to trick my body into thinking it is eating something healthy, so lots of strawberries and blueberries.

Accessory you can’t live without: Lipstick. I can’t do anything without it. Make-up completes any look, and lipstick is the easiest way to appear put together, even if I don’t have time to achieve the perfect cat-eye. There’s also a silver Tiffany’s Atlas ring that never leaves my finger.

Guy/girl celebrity crush: I possess an unhealthy adoration for a copious amount of celebrities, so this is a tough call. I have always, and will forever, be in love with Ewan McGregor. I fell in love with him as Christian in “Moulin Rouge!” and have been such a huge fan of his career since. He is so charming in interviews, has great style, and he admitted to loving the Serial podcast (which I am still obsessing over). As far as female celebs go, Cate Blanchett is flawless in all aspects. She is just everything.

Favorite city you’ve ever visited, and what city do you want to visit next? Anyone who knows me well knows I have an extreme obsession with Portland, Oregon. It’s the restaurants that hooked me. (Little Bird is my favorite.) They are absolutely incredible, and all so cool and different from one another. As cliché and basic as it sounds, “cool” is the best word I can think of to describe the vibe of the entire city. I am immensely excited to be going back this summer and I plan on stalking Fred Armisen around the city while he films “Portlandia.” After I am done with my eating/stalking in Portland, I would love to go to Innsbruck, Austria. I mean Paris or London would be fabulous, but there’s something about absconding away to a smaller Austrian village tucked amongst snow-covered mountains that I find more appealing.

Photos by Sahar Balvardi. 

Katrina served as the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus McGill from 2013-2015.  With a love of writing, fashion, and fitness, she spent a lot of her time exploring Montréal to find great things around campus and in the city to share with the Her Campus readers. Twitter @KatrinaKairys.Awarded 1st place for "On Campus Publicity" for My Campus Chapter Awards 2014Awarded Her Campus "Gold Chapter Level" 2013Awarded Her Campus "Platinum Chapter Level" 2014