Campus Cutie: Scott Bevins of Busty and the Bass

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Presenting the next cutie in our Busty and the Bass campus cutie series – one of Busty’s trumpet players – Scott Bevins! You can find more information about the band on their website or by liking their Facebook page. To listen to some of their music, you can head over to their SoundCloud or subscribe to their Youtube channel

Name: Scott Bevins

Age: 22

Year: Fourth

Major: Jazz performance – trumpet

Hometown: West Hartford, Connecticut, USA

Single or taken? I don’t feel the need to answer that one…

What is the best venue you’ve ever played at? We had a really great crowd the last time we played OAP at McGill, it was really cool. The best venues are always the ones where the crowds are going crazy.

What is your dream venue to play at? I would really like to play the Bell Centre, here in Montreal, someday.

What is your favourite memory with the band? Hmm. I’ve got to think about that one… Every time we finish a show because it’s always a beautiful moment. We’re all just very happy.

What is the craziest thing you’ve ever done at a show? We were on tour in Kingston with our friend Benj, who’s a rapper and songwriter. We played this tune, “SMO,” at the end of our set. We got the crowd to jump up and down, and it kind of became like a mosh pit onstage. I think I accidentally knocked Benj into Eric’s keyboard, and it completely fell off the stand and sort of broke.

What is the most embarrassing song on your iPod? I don’t feel embarrassed about any of the songs on my iPod. I love all the music that I have. I like Katy Perry just as much as I like Cecil Taylor.

What song title or song lyric best describes your life? Me and a couple friends recently recorded a song, and I didn’t sing on it, but the only lyric in the song were the words “everything’s fine” over and over. So, I’d say that: “everything’s fine.”

Who are your favourite singers and/or bands? Ooh. There’s a lot. I’ll leave it there: there’s a lot.

What is your favourite McGill memory? My favourite McGill memory… Last year, me and some of the guys in Busty somehow ended up on one of the roofs of one of the buildings at school. I wasn’t sure how allowed it was, but it was awesome, and we played music. People came and looked up at us, sort of confused, but hopefully happy. I’d say that’s my favourite McGill memory.

If you could only bring a tourist to one place in Montreal, where would you go and why? Probably Mount Royal because it’s a beautiful place no matter what time of year it is, and it’s a good place to escape to, and you need that when you live in a city.

What is your favourite restaurant? The last one I ate at is always my favourite.

What celebrity would you pick to be your best friend and why? Well, I have a very loose concept of the word “celebrity.” I think all my friends’ moms are celebrities, so I’d want to be friends with all of them. At least everybody’s in the band.

What are your hidden talents? Hmm… Yeah, sometimes when I’m all alone, I like to breathe. I wouldn’t call it a talent though. Just something I’m working on.

If you could be any character from a TV show or movie, who would you be and why? Ooh, that’s a cool question. I would definitely want to be Arnold from Hey Arnold. His life sounds awesome.

What is the best present you’ve ever received? Who gave it to you? Somebody smiled at me once, and it was the best.

What would constitute the best day of your life? Probably today.

What is one thing you’re looking forward to in the next month? I’ve been really busy, but this Sunday, my schedule is completely clear, and I’m looking forward to doing absolutely nothing. I’m also pretty psyched for the Busty show for the CBC thing. Those are the top two, I would say.

Stay tuned for more Busty and the Bass campus cuties!

Images contributed by the interviewee.

After spending a wonderful fall 2015 term in Paris, France, Regina is in her final semester at McGill University, studying Economics and French. She loves reading and writing in her spare time, travelling to foreign places, and baking anything she has the ingredients for. She also occasionally plays the oboe. Some of Regina's favourites include the colour blue, the season of fall, and the movie You've Got Mail. You can follow her on Instagram under the handle @reginawung.