Campus Cutie: Milo Johnson of Busty and the Bass

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Introducing this week’s campus cutie, Milo Johnson! If he looks familiar, you may have seen him before—he’s the bass player in the band Busty and the Bass!

Recognize the name?

Busty and the Bass is a group of nine McGill students who started jamming together in their first year at McGill. The band has been gaining a lot of attention on campus recently, especially after winning CBC’s “Rock Your Campus” contest on October 27.

In addition to playing at OAP this year, “Busty” has played numerous shows here in Montreal, as well as in New York, Toronto, and Kingston. If you’d like to see them live, they’ll be playing a Halloween show at L’Alizé Bar.

You can find out more through their Facebook page, their Youtube channel, or their band website. Definitely check out their SoundCloud and listen to a few of their tunes. You’ll love them!

If you’d like to get to know the band members better, you’re in luck because Her Campus McGill will be interviewing each of the band members as part of a series of Busty and the Bass campus cuties! Make sure you check back soon for the next Busty and the Bass cutie!

Name: Milo Johnson

Age: 21Year: Fourth yearMajor: Jazz performance, with a minor in managementHometown: Washington, D.C., USASingle or taken? Single

Who came up with the band name and how? It was a collective process, and we’re going keep the “how” a mystery.

What is the best venue you’ve ever played at? OAP, I would say.

What is your dream venue to play at? I really want to play at the Brooklyn Bowl.

What is your favourite memory with the band? This summer, in May, when we were on a retreat together. It was the first time we had sort of hung out as people, and it wasn’t like us rehearsing or cramming for a show. It was just sort of us being, which was really exciting, and made a lot of things clear in my head.

What is the craziest thing you’ve done at a show? I’m going to keep that a mystery.

What is the most embarrassing song on your iPod? I can tell you what people would think would be most embarrassing, but I’m not embarrassed by it: “Promiscuous” by Nelly Furtado.

What song or song lyric best describes your life? “Move On Up” by Curtis Mayfield (That was the first thing that came to mind, and I’m going to go with it!)

Who are your favourite singers and/or bands? I’m really into Chance The Rapper of late, and my favourite male vocalist is D’Angelo.

Comfort food? Probably grilled cheese.

Biggest pet peeve? People that complain with no intention of ever acting.

Proudest accomplishment? I’d say the current structure and momentum behind Busty right now.

You just threw a message in a bottle out to sea. What’s the message? “More passion.” I think that is what’s missing.

If you were a fruit, what kind of fruit would you be and why? A pomegranate, because I like the idea of layers and gems on the inside, for those that care to discover.

What objects do you always carry with you no matter what? Water bottle.

Who is the first person you call when you have a bad day? My roommates—the guitar player and the trumpet player from “Busty.”

If you could say one thing to anyone in the world, who would it be and what would you say? Elon Musk and “You’re a badass.”

Strangest thing you’ve ever witnessed at McGill? An institutional environment where people never – or rarely – question why they do things.

Care to elaborate? I would say McGill creates the environment for its students, and to me, one of the strangest things is that it seems like people are more here to memorize than learn. I think that education should be learning about to question, and it’s interesting to me that most typical education systems rarely promote that.

Stay tuned for the rest of the Busty and the Bass campus cuties!

Images contributed by the interviewee.

After spending a wonderful fall 2015 term in Paris, France, Regina is in her final semester at McGill University, studying Economics and French. She loves reading and writing in her spare time, travelling to foreign places, and baking anything she has the ingredients for. She also occasionally plays the oboe. Some of Regina's favourites include the colour blue, the season of fall, and the movie You've Got Mail. You can follow her on Instagram under the handle @reginawung.