Campus Cutie: Eric Haynes of Busty and the Bass

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

As part of our Busty and the Bass Campus Cutie series this week, HerCampus McGill presents Busty’s keyboardist cutie—Eric Haynes! If you haven’t heard of Busty and the Bass, go check out their music on their SoundCloud. They might just be your new favourite band. For more updates on the band, make sure to like them on Facebook and check out their website!

Name: Eric Haynes

Age: 21

Year: Fourth year

Major: Jazz Piano Performance

Hometown: Calgary, Alberta

Single or taken? Single

What is the best venue you’ve ever played at? Probably OAP, just because it was the most fun because there were so many people there and so many of our friends.

What is your dream venue to play at? The moon.

What is your favourite memory with the band? There’s probably two: one of them is preparing for our first real concert together, and it was sort of the first time that all of us had hung out, and we were just getting to know each other and we were taking a break from rehearsal for lunch and it was dope. Also, going on retreat in upstate NY and having all day to play music and go swimming and cook good food.

What is the craziest thing you’ve ever done at a show? Probably taking off a button down shirt and then having a t-shirt underneath that said “ambassador of love” – that was one of those “I can’t believe I did that” moments.

What is the most embarrassing song on your iPod? Maybe, probably “Toxic” by Britney Spears.

What song title or song lyric best describes your life? Man, that’s hard. I’m going to go with “Baddest Bitch” by Nicki Minaj.

Who are your favourite singers and/or bands? Probably Keith Jerrett – he’s not a singer, but he plays the piano really well – and in terms of singers, probably Emily King.

Who is the first person on your speed dial? I think it’s my house.

What is the one thing you would do if you could do anything? I would be able to speed up and slow down time.

What is your favourite girly cocktail? Probably Shirley Temple.

How do you take your coffee/tea? With a little bit of cream.

What is the last song you listened to? It’s off this Roy Haynes album called Love Letters. I think it’s probably “How Deep is the Ocean.”

Are you a morning person or a night person? Definitely a night person.

What is your favourite book? Ooh, that’s a hard one, too. Probably a book called Bel Canto by Ann Patchett.

What would your Patronus be? I’ll go with dolphin.

It’s 3am on a Friday night/Saturday morning. Where are you, what are you doing, and who are you with? Definitely with some combination of the “Busty” boys, probably either still playing music or just finished.

Stay tuned for more Busty and the Bass cuties!

Image contributed by the interviewee.

After spending a wonderful fall 2015 term in Paris, France, Regina is in her final semester at McGill University, studying Economics and French. She loves reading and writing in her spare time, travelling to foreign places, and baking anything she has the ingredients for. She also occasionally plays the oboe. Some of Regina's favourites include the colour blue, the season of fall, and the movie You've Got Mail. You can follow her on Instagram under the handle @reginawung.