This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Last week, a white blanket covered the beautiful city of Montreal and overnight, winter has made it’s grand entrance! It’s time to give a warm welcome to the red cups at Starbucks (and all the yummy holiday drinks!), to the beautiful Christmas lights on McGill College, the bedazzled-out McGill coat-of-arms on the Arts building and the countless celebrities doing covers of all our favorite seasonal songs (Michael Buble’s Holiday Album anyone?). 

The snowy scenery and the crisp air calls for copious amounts of hot drinks and cozy Friday nights on Netflix watching Love Actually – very legitimate excuses to trade in a crazy night out for a cozy night in. However, walks to campus also become longer, and the slippery sidewalks and mountain-like piles of snow make trekking to class feel like The Amazing Race. Finding a winter-style candidate for the style blog isn’t easy when our priority lies in making it to class on time, and looking cute while doing so isn’t necessarily on our minds. Luckily, I was able to track down one very chic fashionista who isn’t about to let the weather ruin her ensemble.

While most people might think that in this weather, what’s comfy and practical trumps chic and fashionable, Averie Hah shows us it’s not impossible for all these qualities to coexist. Averie is a first-year Management student who has a passion for singing, and performs as a soprano with McGill’s women choral ensemble, Les Muses ChoraleHailing from Regina, Saskatchewan, Averie is used to the extreme cold. While everyone else is drowning in their oversized goose jackets and 30 sweaters under, she took the risk of tackling the winter cold with an adorable black peacoat.

With an all black-ensemble consisting of a black floppy hat, black bottoms, black boots and even a black shoulder bag, Averie’s outfit reminds us that black is always the new black. Black is classic, and all-black always epitomizes class.

But even to the midst of a monochrome ensemble, Averie is able to bring a pop of color with a silk scarf that she’s tied around her bag, which brings me to my fashion takeaway for this post: the versatility of accessories. Though a scarf by definition goes around your neck, it can easily be used to spice up the personality of your bag, or even used as a cute headband for when you’re having a bad hair day.

Another accesory that I believe to be an essential in a girl’s closet is a hat. I absolutely adore hats, and right now I have a slight obsession with floppy ones. There’s something about them that just completes an entire outfit. The black wool floppy hat Averie has on is perfect because it’s the perfect size. I think that the most important thing to note when purchasing a hat is how it fits. It’s like Goldilocks and the Three Bears- with a hat; you need one that’s just right. Hats aren’t like winter sweaters and cardigans where you can go oversized and still look adorable  you have to know play with your proportions to make it a flattering accesory.

Hope you enjoyed this post and took away some style tips! Maybe you’ll be the the one I feature next! Happy studying, and stay chic!

Photos retrieved from:

http://www.polyvore.com/differ…

http://www.polyvore.com/floppy…

Political Science student, hopeless romantic, dreamer, and a firm believer that "those who are crazy enough to think that they change the world, are the ones who do"