Bernadette Morra, Editor-in-Chief of FASHION Magazine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

When it comes to Canadian fashion, what Bernadette says goes. She has mentored top Canadian designers, bringing them onto the world stage. Having final say of what is included in each issue, her opinion is highly respected. Bernadette Morra, editor-in-chief of FASHION Magazine has what many young, aspiring writers would call a “dream job”, but it took hard work to get to where she is today. In fact, while pursuing her B.A., she had no intention of writing about fashion. Her Campus McGill’s Campus Correspondent, Katrina Kairys, chats with Bernadette about her wildly successful career, and finds out what it takes to rise to the top of fashion journalism.

Katrina Kairys for Her Campus McGill: You’ve been in the journalism industry for many years, as Fashion Editor of the Toronto Star and now as Editor-in-Chief of FASHION Magazine.  When you were beginning your career, did you know that you wanted to write about the fashion world?

Bernadette Morra: Originally I wanted to be a pop music critic and I started pursuing a freelance career in that area. I was pitching album reviews to an editor at Canadian Press but he looked at me one day and said, “You should be writing about fashion.” Boy, was he ever right. I started writing fashion stories for him and my career took off. P.S. I have never written one story about music.

KK: What skills are essential for people to have if they want to work in print journalism?

BM: They have to be curious, analytical, detail-oriented, organized, punctual, diplomatic, a good listener and be able to hand in clean (error-free, well-written) copy. They also have to be able to “connect the dots” in a big picture kind of way ie. Think about how the things they are writing about relate to a wider cultural context.

KK: If you were entering your career today, would you change your preparation in any way to ensure success in the field?

BM: Not so much my preparation (I have a B.A. from U of T, then I did a media writing program at Sheridan College), but I would change the way I broke into the business by writing my own blog. This would act as my “portfolio”, and I would get out and network at events that fashion editors attend.

KK: As Editor-in-Chief of FASHION Magazine, your schedule is probably jam-packed. What does an average day in the life of a Bernadette Morra include?

BM: One of the many great things about this job is that there is no average day. I might be reviewing photos with the art department, planning shoots with our stylists and photographers, going over story ideas with our fashion or beauty editors, meeting with our sales team or publisher, reading story copy, reviewing layouts. I also travel a fair amount for work including covering shows in Europe for fashionmagazine.com.

KK: From attending hundreds of runway shows to socializing with top designers, your job is one that many fashionistas envy. What would you say is the most glamorous part of your job?

BM: Attending the Paris couture shows.

KK: Glamor aside – what do you find most challenging about your position as editor-in-chief?

BM: When our prized contributors leave Canada to move to New York, London or Paris.

KK: Having interviewed many inspirational people, including Karl Lagerfeld and Audrey Hepburn, who is one person that you’ve interviewed that you’ll never forget?

BM: I will never forget any of them, but the person who touched me the most was Issey Miyake. As a little boy, he survived the nuclear bombing of Hiroshima, though he had permanent injuries. He is one of the loveliest people I have ever met.

KK: You were recently named one of the “10 most valuable front-row players at Toronto’s Fashion Week” by The Globe and Mail. Being such an accomplished woman, what are your words of wisdom for young journalists wishing to rise to the top of their careers?

BM: Focus on your work and on producing a quality product no matter what that product is (and I would count a written story as a product). There is always a demand for true talent.

Image courtesy of Vanessa Heins Photography

Katrina served as the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus McGill from 2013-2015.  With a love of writing, fashion, and fitness, she spent a lot of her time exploring Montréal to find great things around campus and in the city to share with the Her Campus readers. Twitter @KatrinaKairys.Awarded 1st place for "On Campus Publicity" for My Campus Chapter Awards 2014Awarded Her Campus "Gold Chapter Level" 2013Awarded Her Campus "Platinum Chapter Level" 2014