Bar Review: The Plateau’s Laika

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Laïka is one of those transformative venues that are simultaneously elegant and contemporary. It’s no wonder that the bar and restaurant attracts people from all over Montreal, especially when you consider its seamless conversion from chic brunch establishment during the day to ambient eclectic lounge by night. Located conveniently near Avenue Duluth Ouest and Boulevard Saint Laurent, they specialize in tapas cuisine, but offer anything that you may desire. They have omelettes, poached eggs, and paillasson for brunch and quesadillas, seafood, sandwiches, and more throughout the day. They even offer daily specials to suit each person’s palate and have juice, soda, and caffeinated drinks on their daily menu. More importantly, they make all kinds of cocktails and have over a dozen beers on tap. 

Additionally, their minimalist eclectic interior decor is simply divine. At night, lantern-shaped lights hang from the pipe-lined ceilings to produce a soft dim lighting throughout the restaurant. The lounge consists of small round tables that are arranged into columns. Candles are expertly placed at each table and glisten against the environment’s neutral tones to produce a romantic consciousness. The lounge has a booth where different DJs play relaxing ambient music each night against Technicolor projections on the wall. The rainbow of colours dance off the walls and against the beat of the music to inject the right amount of energy into the atmosphere. The bar is lined with vodka, whiskey, spirits, and more. The dining area even offers an expansive view of Boulevard Saint Laurent for customers who prefer to against a moving background. 

Laïka tends to be quite busy on a Friday night. It’s not particularly peculiar to see every seat in the dining area, bar, and lounge taken by 9:30 PM. Spurts of energy emerge in consistent rhythms throughout the night as more customers arrive. Laïka’s owner, Bruno Ricciardi-Rigault is the perfect host who accommodates all of his customer’s needs and always makes sure that they feel at home. He greets each person with a smile and is never seen sitting. He always helps his staff with everything, whether it’s to make drinks or to manage the kitchen. In fact, his staff is always enthusiastic and ready to cater to their customers.

The lounge is the perfect spot for people to bring friends for a drink. Laïka simply makes the perfect vodka peach schnapps orange juice. They blend each of their drinks’ vital ingredients with finesse. Guests also enjoy their cosmopolitans, whiskey sours and appletinis. They even offer the urban twilight for those with a more refined taste, which consists of rum disaronno coke. Generally, their cocktails are made with just the right amount of alcoholic strength and that touch of sweetness as well. Additionally, they offer a mean margarita and make vodka or tequila shots for partygoers. In fact, beer drinkers will be thrilled to know that Laïka offers Moosehead, Griffon blonde, St-Ambroise, Cream Ale, and much more on tap. As for bottle beers, they offer Kronenbourg and the Groisch flip-flop. It is simply the best pre-drink destination for those who are looking for a night of fun.

Laïka’s friendly staff members, energetic atmosphere, and beautiful drinks makes it the best pre-drink destination for those who are looking for a night of fun or a good conversation.

Images obtained from: Katrina Kairys (Campus Correspondent), Angie Lee (VP Advertising), and the author. 

Erica is a writer for Her Campus. She is currently in her second year at McGill, pursuing a degree in English (Cultural Studies). She is also an aspiring writer who loves fashion, beauty, travel, and culture. She hopes that you enjoy her articles and her insights into the world around her.