Anticafe is the Ultimate Cafe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

It’s that time of year again; winter holidays are over, school’s back in, and papers are piling up faster than you can say “Add/Drop”. What’s a student to do? Wander the slush-filled streets of downtown Montreal in search of the perfectly quaint hipster cafe whose wifi broadband allows you to download 500+ pages of an online Coursepack, but whose miniscule americanos force you to break a 20 dollar bill? Settle on a Starbucks or a Second Cup where the only spot left in a sea of stressed out students hunched over various models of Macbooks is a small sliver of the windowsill? Both of those aforementioned options sound about as appetizing as a lukewarm cup of coffee. So, in a new year where we (again) make resolutions to study harder and (again) promise ourselves we’ll make the most of our money, what is the ultimate study cafe? The Anticafe. That’s right, Anticafe is the ultimate cafe.

Located on 294 Rue Sainte-Catherine Ouest, Anticafe’s open-concept space is what makes it stand out among more traditional coffee shops. Make your way up the steep staircase to what appears to be an apartment door, and let yourself in to the foyer, no keys required. A selection of slippers – yes, fluffly slippers – await your frostbitten toes in the front closet. Slip off your Timberlands and slide your slippered feet into the sprawling kitchen while complete strangers filter to and fro to the sound of classical music playing from somewhere in the apartment. Open the fridge, peruse the pantry or turn to the generous spread on the kitchen counter and help yourself to a selection of cookies, crackers, hummus, veggies, and of course, fully-functioning coffee machines. Mokas, machiatos, lattes? Americanos, cappuccinos, or regular filter coffees? Thanks to Anticafe, you don’t have to limit yourself to just one caffeinated beverage, and helping yourself to rounds 2, 3 and 4 won’t break the bank either.

See, when you enter Anticafe – which is essentially a high-ceilinged, spacious apartment (complete with plush armchairs, large wooden dining room tables, squishy couches and shelves stocked with well-loved books) – you sign yourself in (name & email address) on one of the computers stationed near the front door, and the system clocks the time you spend rather than what you consume. Anticafe’s reasonable rates are $3 for the first hour and $2 for every additional hour you spend studying, chilling or eating at your new home away from home. And just like at home, make sure you do your dishes when you’re done eating! So, next time you go out in search of a new study spot, give the Anticafe a try, and make sure you yell a sing-songy, “honey, I’m hooome!” for dramatic effect upon entering.  

Cover photo obtained from: http://anticafemontreal.com/#!

Article photos obtained from: https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g155032-d8819265-Reviews-Anticafe_Montreal-Montreal_Quebec.html and http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/760612/anticafe-temps-montreal

Pint-sized princess, travel/fashion/food blogger and avid macaroon eater.