This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Meet Amanda Carlee Etingin, a born-and-raised Montreal native and a third-year management student here at McGill, pursuing a triple concentration in Marketing, International Business and Organizational Behavior. She’s got a lot on her plate between three majors and an upcoming semester abroad in Nottingham, but this year, she’s also become a member of P[h]assion: a non-profit organization of students who share an appreciation for fashion and a dedication to the worthwhile cause of raising awareness about HIV/AIDS. Through her role as a member of the promotion team, Amanda has worked hard to contribute to the many fabulous events and fundraisers that P[h]assion puts together over the course of the year- including the upcoming annual spring fashion show, with ticket proceeds benefitting the Montreal- based charity Maison Plein Couer. Keep reading to learn more about Amanda and what she’s got to say about her P[h]assion experience so far!

Olivia Kutyla for Her Campus McGill (HC McGill): Just out of curiosity, where does the name P[h]assion come from?

Amanda Etingin (AE): Funny you should ask, this is everyone’s first question. The name Phassion comes from a combination of “fashion” and “passion.” Although slightly cheesy, the slogan “A love for fashion, a passion for humanity” can often be seen on posters and depicts in just a few words exactly what the non-profit organization stands for. Also, im pretty sure the ‘h’ is emphasized for HIV, but don’t quote me on that one.

HC McGill: As a community and organization, what are some goals that P[h]assion aims to accomplish?

AE: For over 15 years, P[h]assion has successfully promoted HIV/AIDS awareness to McGill University students and the Montreal community. P[h]assion, a non-profit organization, has fundraised over $150,000 for various AIDS foundations and plans to continue to raise capital to aid those in need. The organization holds numerous fundraising events throughout the year, including hype parties, a sample sale, and its mid-spring fashion show. The P[h]assion fashion show has impressed hundreds of spectators and sponsors, which makes it one of the most anticipated events on McGill’s social calendar!

HC McGill: It’s exciting that this is your first year as part of P[h]assion’s promotion team! How and why did you decide to get involved?

AE: It is very exciting indeed! My friend actually asked me if I wanted to join with her and I decided that it was an amazing opportunity. I thought it’d be a great way for me to get more involved with McGill while simultaneously supporting a cause I believe lacks the adequate attention that it deserves. 

HC McGill: What kind of responsibilities does your position on the P[h]assion promotion team involve?

AE: Being a part of any promotion team in general involves the supervision of promotion programs in order to incentivize the point-of-purpose. Our team combines advertising through different social media platforms as well as seasonal hype parties to entice consumers (McGill students and friends of committee) to buy products (tickets to the fashion show). All in all, it has been a great way to unleash my creative side in a way that can also help those in need.

HC McGill: What can you tell us about P[h]assion’s upcoming spring fashion show? It sounds like it’s going to be an amazing event!

AE: I don’t want to give too much away but if previous shows count for anything (which I’m sure they do), I can tell you it’s going to be a great show. I highly recommend checking it out. This year’s profits will benefit a local charity known as Maison Plein Coeur. Every ticket sold makes a difference!

HC McGill: To finish up, what’s been your favorite part of the experience so far?

AE: Up until this point, my favorite part of the P[h]assion experience has been meeting so many amazing people that I may not have necessarily been friends with before joining the team. In addition, being part of such a production organization has given me more than I could ever hope to give in return, and that is the notion of thankfulness. It’s amazing how satisfying giving back can be. I find it especially humbling to be reminded of how lucky we are and how thankful we must be. 

To keep tabs on P[h]assion’s exciting events in the future and find out more about this year’s upcoming fashion show, be sure to check out their page on Facebook!

Images provided by interviewee.