This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Meet your U1 Chemistry Rep!

Alan Wei is an outgoing U1 Chemistry major with big plans of going to medical school. Her Campus McGill recently sat down with him to talk about his executive role with the Chemistry Undergraduate Students Society (CUSS) and how he balances his hectic school schedule with his personal life.

Alan moved to Montreal a little over a year ago after spending most of his life living right outside Vancouver, British Columbia. Even during high school he knew that he wanted to pursue a career in the sciences. After his first year at McGill, it was a no-brainer that he was meant to study chemistry. Alan jokes, “I love chemistry because I can make nerdy jokes that make me look like a smart ass”.

As the U1 Chemistry Rep Alan is primarily responsible for introducing other U1 chemistry majors to the Chemistry Undergraduate Students Society. At weekly meetings he also helps to plan academic and social events for CUSS. He stresses how important it is for students to reach out to other students in the same major in order to create a support system vital for getting through a McGill science undergraduate program.

The Chemistry Undergraduate Student Society was established to connect all chemistry undergraduate majors with one another and provide valuable tools for them to succeed in their shared major. One of the important parts of CUSS is its “Chem Store” located in the Basement of Otto Maass. Open selectively throughout the year, the store sells essential supplies that every chemistry major needs for their studies here at McGill for reasonable prices. Items for purchase include lab coats, goggles, and manuals. CUSS also puts out The CUSS Weekly sent directly to chemistry undergraduates’ emails. Each week it contains a list of important updates, reminders about upcoming events, and a features section including the scientific article of the week to put a smile on your face.

When the opportunity arose for him to get involved with CUSS, Alan jumped at the chance. “I’ve always wanted to be in a council that helps organize things in my program. I love meeting new people and helping so I knew this would be an awesome platform for me.” He learned about it when he went to the CUSS Meet and Greet at the beginning of the fall semester. “I needed to prepare a write-up and an application letter,” Alan chuckled as he recalled the application process. “Finally I got asked to do an in-person interview – the rest is history!”

When asked what advice he has for other science undergraduate students, Alan says “Do your homework!” In general, he says that getting all your work done is the most crucial part in order to do well in your program. “Seriously, finish your schoolwork on time, or at least try to get as much done as possible. Also, make a list of what you need to do in the week and then just get it done.”

But most importantly, Alan reminds us to just keep doing you and the rest will fall into place. “Be you, the world will adjust… always remember to enjoy life.”

If you want more information about how to connect with the Chemistry Undergraduate Student’s Society, check out their website

Images contributed by interviewee. 

Alexandra is in her fourth and final year at McGill University, studying Joint Honors Political Science and Philosophy with a minor in Sexual Diversity Studies. She is a self-described coffee addict and Netflix junkie. Alexandra is passionate about sassy comebacks, collecting mason jars, and her hair straighenter. In her spare time she enjoys binge watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer and shopping as a sport. Follow her sarcastic pursuits on Twitter @AlmostAlexandra and her obsession with filters on Instagram @alexandrasakellariou.