pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

After Graduation: Not One Set Path

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

For many of you students, the end of this semester will mark the end of your time at McGill. As graduation looms nearer it can be unnerving to think about the unknown venture that is a future after life at university. This April comes with the end of a three or four year commitment to university: a lot of study stress, too much snow and probably such a vast lack of sleep that you’ve turned into a semi-functioning zombie. Any ending is filled with mixed feelings: excitement at new prospects, but sorrow at leaving behind friendships and familiarity. A lot of us are told to pursue a set path, entering into a sturdy career or going to grad school to further our opportunities. Although it may be enticing to establish something concrete, this is often done out of a fear of the unknown, and may not be the wisest decision at all – particularly if it is made hastily. Instead, realize that there isn’t just one option when leaving university. There are a plethora of opportunities, adventures and time for self-growth upon graduation, and it’s important to take whichever seems most apt to you – with influence of no one else’s opinion, just your own. The key thing to remember when you graduate is that it’s okay if you have no idea where you’re going, just as long as you’re ready for the adventure. 

Not one set path, but a multitude of options for you to live your dream life:

• Grad school is not for everyone, and that’s okay. You don’t have to follow the education route because you’re told it’s the best option; if a structured learning environment isn’t your thing, that’s okay. There are plenty of other places to attain knowledge, and some people learn better in different environments than university, for example in a hands-on job. 
  • Take time to travel or pursue a dream – you’re young and not tied down with commitments, so logistically it’s the most convenient time, and you’re bound to discover a lot about yourself along the way. It’s often said that travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer, and this sentiment is filled with frank honesty. To immerse yourself in a new, unfamiliar culture will cause you to reassess who you are, and what you want out of life, whilst opening your eyes to the diversity and vibrancy around you. 
  • Start a business or venture that you’ve always longed to. Again, we are more fearless in our youth and this can pay off in pursuit of something you love. Just remember to have a clear plan and attainable goals before you jump into anything head first.  
  • Learn more: if education is for you, then grad school is a great place to open up further career paths and broaden your knowledge of a subject of interest. Just make sure you enjoy the subject. The worst thing to do is waste your money and time on a degree you’re disinterested in – you may just end up resenting it. 
  • Take time to think about where you’d like to go in your life: don’t listen to parents or friends or relationships. It’s your time to be selfish and go after what you want in life. Even just a year exploring new cities, countries or workplaces is enough time to figure out what you potentially want, and will most certainly alert you to what you really don’t want out of your life.
  • It’s okay if your dream job isn’t all it’s cracked up to be! There are plenty of other options – you don’t need to be tied down to one role forever, and these days most individuals go through numerous careers, getting a taste for the variety of jobs that are out there.  
  • Solidify the friendships you’ve made here at university, and if they’re true, don’t forget them once you move away. A true friendship has one of the most meaningful impacts on your life; so hold onto it once you graduate if it’s important to you. On the other hand, moving away is also a good time to release toxic friendships and free yourself from negative energy and forced interactions. So, think wisely about who is really important to you, and who has shaped you throughout your university career. A true friend allows us to grow, and enables us to see the good in ourselves. Someone who holds you back is not worth your time. 
  • Cherish the time you have left! Yes, university is stressful with exams and deadlines, but the freedom here is unprecedented. Enjoy yourself amidst the exams and classes: go for good food, go dancing, go on hikes, whatever it is, just make the most of the beautiful city you’re lucky enough to live in (yes, even with the snow). 
  • Most importantly, no matter where you go, or what you do, stay true to your values, the things you love and who you are as a person.

Images obtained from: http://blogs.ft.com/photo-diary/files/2014/06/minsk.jpg https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/54/d2/3f/54d23fc9ded44c5845432… http://68.media.tumblr.com/59ec5ec1ab0164fb5fa036b1426e4ca4/tumblr_nkuew…