Across the Pond: Sophie Carberry’s First Impressions of Montreal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Without a doubt, one of the best things about McGill University is the diversity on campus. It really is fascinating to stop and think about how each and every person scurrying past you comes from a different walk of life. For students from North America, it can be easy to take for granted that the way of life and diversity in Montreal is not the norm in other parts of the world. I had the lovely opportunity to interview Sophie Carberry, an exchange student from Ireland, on her perceptions and first impressions of this city.

Claire for HC McGill: Can you begin by telling us a bit about yourself?

Sophie: My name is Sophie, I’m 20 years old. I’m from a little town in the south of Ireland, and I am studying in Dublin to become an interpreter of French and Italian. I’m currently on exchange studying French Literature and Quebec History at the University of Montreal. My interests include mostly just watching Netflix now, but I was involved in a lot of clubs back home, such as debating. 

HC McGill: Interesting, why did you want to study abroad?

SC: When you study French you have to head abroad for at least one year if you want to do well. You have to be immersed in an environment where you’re going to improve. So, it was always a plan at some point to go either to France or Canada. I also got really bored of being at home, everything was so monotonous, which made me really want to see more of the world. I chose Canada because I had never been to North America before. Montreal seemed great because it was a way to experience a new city, while also being close to many other places I’d like to see in North America. Apart from that, the culture in Canada really interested me, we speak the same language but everything here is still so strange. Everything is far bigger and more efficient.

HC McGill: You mentioned that Canada is strange, what’s the biggest difference you find being here in Montreal in comparison to Ireland?

SC: The public transportation system, because apart from the Underground in London, I had never experienced a metro before. You hear about rush hour, but I had never really seen a real rush hour – I tried to get the metro home from school and there were a good 60 people waiting to get on. Everything is just busier.

HC McGill: What has been your favorite thing about Montreal so far?

SC: Probably the fact that it doesn’t matter where you go, even if you’ve already been there, there is something that you haven’t experienced yet. When I was walking to the grocery store I saw a random concert, in the middle of the day. It is like a new experience every time you leave your house.

HC McGill: What surprised you the most about Montreal?

SC: When I went up to Mont Royal on one of my first nights here, I didn’t realize how big the city was. I am so used to this one area with all of the skyscrapers that you see on postcards, but when you get to the top, you can see how vast the city is. It felt like a scene in the movies, where the characters drive up to a lookout and see the city beneath them.

HC McGill: What are you most excited for this upcoming year?

Sophie: Everything. I can’t predict what I am going to do because I like to do things spontaneously. I’m excited to meet more people and see more of the cultural side of Montreal by going to more museums, concerts, and festivals. Also on the academic side, I’m hoping to go back with a different accent in French. I have this French accent that I’ve acquired over 10 years, and I’d love to gain a different spin on it. I’m drawn to having an authentic accent, not one that has been taught to you. And of course, I’d like to go back with a more confident and natural approach to French.

Images obtained from interviewee