Life > Experiences

5 Things To Do This Holiday Season in Montreal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Although I, like many, would have loved to write this article as I hung up my holiday decorations on November 1st, I understand that some prefer waiting until December 1st to *actually* start getting excited about the Holidays. Balancing finals season at McGill University, along with the cold weather settling in proves to be no easy feat, so I have decided to put together the ULTIMATE guide to the best Holiday activities in Montreal for the upcoming weeks. 

• 1. Roam around Montreal’s Old Port

Take a study break and stroll down to the Old Port area. Every year, the city of Montreal is bathed in twinkling lights and decorates the cobblestone streets all around this historic neighbourhood. Its landscapes, small shops, cafés, and bustling streets are inspiring some joyful Christmas cheer. This year, visit Montreal’s World Trade Center and its glimmering decor for Instagram-worthy shots– you won’t be disappointed.

• 2. Ice Skating at Beaver Lake

Be the main character! Nothing says Hallmark Christmas Movie like ice skating with friends or your significant other on a gorgeous, outdoor rink. Following a scenic walk through Mount Royal, one can find their inner figure skater at Beaver Lake. Every year Mount Royal’s trails are reconfigured for cross-country skiing and snowshoeing, and a stunning ice rink is erected for all to use (FOR FREE). This holiday season, get your move on for a serotonin boost or a date with your besties.

• 3. ALL the Christmas Markets

This year, from November 20th to January 2nd, Montreal’s Great Christmas Market makes a comeback in the Quartier des Spectacles on Sainte-Catherine street. Reminiscent of a traditional Bavarian village, The Great Christmas Market offers over 30 stalls hosting local artisans, restaurants, music, and theatrical performances.

From November 27th to December 23rd, the Jean Talon Market transforms into a Christmas market for its second year. There, you can buy the products of local artisans and enjoy some warm holiday snacks and drinks.

Atwater Market becomes Montreal’s very own Christmas Village from November 25th to December 19th. This location is the perfect destination to channel your Holiday cheer. There, you will be impressed by its ethical and ecological selection of local products and food. Its programming is designed to be enjoyed by both families and adults, as well as its enchanting decor. This year, rumour has it that there will be an outdoor sleigh cinema, broadcasting Holiday movies for all to enjoy. 

This ballet is a classic and is perfect for getting anyone in the Holiday spirit. From December 9th to December 28th, Les Grands Ballets Canadiens will be performing The Nutcracker (or Casse-Noisette, le Voyage de Clara, for any francophones) at Montreal’s very own Place des Arts, under the direction of Ivan Cavallari and Fernand Nault. This show always promises a night of enchantment, helping to immerse any audience member in the spirit of the season. Buy your tickets here.

• 5. Hot Chocolate at C’ChôColat

Have a well deserved cup of authentic Hot Chocolate at C’ChôColat, located at 1255 Bishop St, only steps away from McGill. You’ll fall in love with the ambience as well as their impressive chocolate menu, ranging from dessert creations to authentic hot chocolate beverages and even chocolate cocktails.

Kelly Eden

McGill '25

Kelly is a McGill undergraduate student in the Faculty of Education, majoring in Secondary English Education. She is a passionate Feminist, supporter of Human Rights, and learner. You can find her out with her friends, reading, or drinking coffee at any hour of the day.