5 Montreal Coffee Shops Perfect for Studying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

We all know that studying at McLennan or in your room all the time can get old quickly. If you’re looking to change up your routine, why not try venturing outside of the McGill bubble to study at a coffee shop? From having embarked on what is dubbed the “#MTLCafeCrawl,” I have tried my fair share of lattes across the city and and now it’s my turn to share my recommendations with you:

1. La Finca

Location: 1067 Rue de Bleury

Nestled among buildings within the heart of downtown Montreal, La Finca is a great place to go to get work done. Its large windows give the cafe an airy feel and fill the room with cozy, natural lighting, helping you to feel extra productive. Not only is their coffee delicious, but they have great food and pastries available to buy incase you get hungry while studying. In addition to their normal cafe space, they also have meeting rooms which you can rent out for a group study session or an extra quiet work space.

2. Tommy

Location: 200 Notre-Dame St W

Venture down to Old Port and you’ll be sure to stumble across Tommy, a cafe just steps away from Place d’Armes. Tommy has three floors so be sure to check out the couches and tables upstairs if there are no free study spots by the windows or counter downstairs. The cafe has a beautiful leafy and marble theme with unique coffee cups to match.  

3. Café Castel

Location: 1015 Sherbrooke Street West

Only steps away from McGill’s campus, Café Castel is attached to the side of the Best Western Hotel and has a gorgeous interior that will make you feel as though you’ve been transported to somewhere in Europe. It’s a great place to go if you want to get some work done in between classes and they are known for making customers adorable latte art of anything from lions to puppies to butterflies.

4. Café 45

Location: 131 Rue Prince Arthur E

Tucked away on a corner past the bustling Boulevard Saint Laurent, Café 45 is the best place to be if you have a full day’s work ahead of you and need a quiet yet productive environment. In addition to having delicious coffee, smoothie bowls, soups, and sandwiches, the cafe has 3 main, large tables which allow you to spread your books and notes out for a successful day of studying.

5. Bristol Chai

Location: 30 Prince Arthur St W

Located right across from several other great cafes and restaurants, the coziness of Bristol Chai will definitely convince you to stay and study. Offering a range of chai teas, coffees, pastries, and lunch, this cafe’s friendly staff and constant aroma of cinnamon and nutmeg will be sure to sweeten up your time studying.  

Happy studying and cafe crawling!

All Images Taken By Maddy Evans

Maddy Evans

McGill '22

Maddy is a freshman at McGill University, where she is pursuing a major in Political Science and a double minor in Spanish and Arabic. Originally from Connecticut, you can find Maddy traveling around the world with her camera and journal in hand. When in Montreal, she will most definitely be studying in a coffee shop, wandering through an art museum, or exploring the city!