element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Christmas Activities To Do in Montreal this December

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

1st of December has passed which means it’s officially acceptable to bring out your Christmas decorations and play Christmas music! Sadly, the Atwater Christmas market isn’t making an appearance this year due to roadworks but there is still a host of other activities in to do that will get you into the festive spirit.

Nutcracker Market​

The Nutcracker market is an indoor Christmas market that offers a wide range of products from jewellery and beauty products to home decorations. Sadly, it only runs until the 9th of December but is definitely worth the visit if you want to get ahead on all your Christmas shopping.

Location: 1001 place Jean-Paul-Riopelle​

Le Bar Noel

Miracle is a Christmas themed pop-up cocktail bar, which is coming to Montreal this year. Not only are there Christmas decorations all around, this bar also specialises in holiday cocktails. The cosy atmosphere will definitely get you in the Christmas mood and give you a well-deserved study break.

Location: Coldroom Bar, 139 St-Paul West

Noel dans le Parc

Noel dans le Parc is an outdoor festival that is taking place in 3 locations in Montreal this year. It offers a wide range of activities from live music to bonfires and it’s completely free. On top of this, they sell snacks and several drinks such as mulled wine and hot chocolate, so you can sip on some hot cocoa while listening to live music.

Location: Place Emilie-Gamelin, Parc du Compagnons de Saint-Laurent, Lahaie Park

Outdoor Cinema

There’s nothing better than watching a Christmas movie to get into the Christmas spirit. This year Place D’Youville in Old Montreal is hosting outdoor movie screens beginning the 20th of December. Admissions are free and the first movie playing is Home Alone.

Location: Place D’Youville

Ice Skating and Fireworks

Natrel Skating Rink next to Saint-Lawrence River allows you to skate to music day or night. And starting from December 15th, once a week, Natrel presents fire on ice, where Montreal’s winter skies are lit up with fireworks.

Location: Bassin Natrel

Images obtained from:

https://www.miraclepopup.com/gallery-1/

https://noeldansleparc.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/17.jpg

https://www.restomontreal.ca/e/l/natrel-fire-on-ice/4611/en/

Sophie Smith

McGill '19

Sophie is an undergrad in her third year at McGill university, majoring in political science. She comes from an international background, being English and German and having lived in the Netherlands. She enjoys writing about several different topics and discovered her love of journalism at university. In her spare time, she loves going for brunch with friends and baking, as well as travelling!