This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Cobbled streets, boutique shops, and incredible architecture that makes you feel as though you could be anywhere in Europe: Old Montreal has a vibe unique to any other Canadian place I’ve been. It is the essence of Montreal’s European flair. Although it isn’t the McGill “Ghetto,” sometimes it’s refreshing to step outside of the bubble we all get sucked into (not that there’s anything wrong with the bubble, of course). On my first real exploration to Old Montreal, I discovered a rich and diverse range of cuisine drawn from numerous ethnicities. 

Bear in mind, these restaurants are not the typical student-friendly prices. These are the kinds of restaurants where you take visiting family, a date that you really want to impress or, if you’re lucky, where you go for a birthday treat.

1. Taj Mahal: Indian cuisine 

This restaurant is ideal for any lover of Indian food. It’s situated in the heart of Old Montreal and the food is delicious. This is by far the best curry I have had since moving to Canada. The restaurant is small, has a lovely ambiance and boasts excellent service. It would be ideal for date night. My personal recommendation is the vegetable korma served with peshwari naan bread.

2. Kyo: Japanese cuisine

If Indian isn’t your thing, then you could give Kyo a try. It’s trendy, modern and serves authentic Japanese food. The menu contains a wide variety of choices ranging from sushi, noodle dishes, rice dons, and barbecued specialties. Also, they serve one-liter mugs of beer (Sapporo and Asahi to be precise). It’s a fun place to go with a couple of friends for a light but satisfying meal. 

3. Dolcetto: Italian cuisine

Also located in a central part of Old Montreal, Dolcetto is a beautiful Italian wine bar and restaurant. It has a lively atmosphere and a cool – and chic – décor. You can’t go wrong with Italian food; everyone enjoys a good pizza or a slice of tiramisu. 

4. Holder: Bistro food

This restaurant has options for every kind of food lover and is suitable for people who want a bistro-style meal. Their food is hearty and delicious, and the restaurant has a buzzing atmosphere, as it often hosts large tables of students. Also their drinks are tasty: my personal favorite is the appletini.

Photos sources: