1 Writer Says Goodbye: Looking Back on My Time at HC McGill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

By Arielle Piat-Sauve

Graduation always seems to bring out mixed emotions – it really is the end of the beginning. As I prepare to close this chapter and embark on my next journey, I thought it would be appropriate to give a proper send off to Her Campus, without whom my college experience would not have been the same!

Writing articles, interviewing students and following campus events quickly became part of my weekly routine. Not only did Her Campus provide me with an outlet to write and improve my writing skills, but it also provided me with a network of amazing women and a sense of community within McGill and also within the larger Her Campus community.

With graduation right around the corner, I am sad that this is probably going to be one of my last HC McGill articles. As one generation of collegiettes™ prepare to move on, I wanted to write about what I have gained by joining the Her Campus team, and hopefully encourage the next generation of collegiettes™ to join and do the same!

1. Writing Experience:

Whether a student of Arts, Commerce, Engineering or Science, gaining writing experience outside the traditional academic setting is always a plus. As a writer for Her Campus I not only improved my writing skills, but also developed my own writing style. Writing for Her Campus will allow you to develop a strong writing portfolio that will probably be very useful come grad school or job application time. It will also provide you with a creative outlet, to write about things that interest you or that you want to learn more about.

1. Experience your school and the city:

As part of the Her Campus team I was encouraged to keep up with activities and events taking place within the McGill community and throughout the city. Trying out new coffee shops to see which one had the best study vibe, attending plays produced by McGill students…these are all fun and new experiences that can contribute to creating that well rounded college education and experience we are all looking for.

1. Connect with your peers:

What better way to connect with your peers than through interviews? The Campus Celebrity and Campus Cutie sections are a great way to reach out to people you’ve wanted to meet and get to know – although I never said it would be easy to keep a straight face while interviewing the hottie from your history class! By writing these articles you will really start to feel connected to your peers and realize that although we may not all show it the same way, we are all dealing with the same stresses. From freshmen year, to studying for finals, to dealing with graduation angst, it is really important to feel a sense of security and connectedness from those around you.

1. Gain access to the Her Campus network:

Something you may not always think of when joining Her Campus, is the large (and amazing!) network you automatically become part of. Her Campus has campus chapters at most major universities and colleges throughout the United States and Canada, and this network just keeps on growing. Her Campus also connects you to industry professionals and opens the doors to internship and job opportunities in the future. Last summer, while interning in New York City, I had the opportunity to attend one of HC’s famous events at the Double Seven. Meeting the Her Campus founders and chatting with them was such a surreal experience! It definitely showed me that I was part of something big. I truly believe that being part of this network of ambitious and inspiring women has prepared me for life’s future challenges, and also given me a network of peers I can always turn to.

Editors’ Note: While Arielle is plugging Her Campus McGill, we might as well add that you can become involved by Facebook messaging us here. We will miss her as much as she will miss HC McGill.