Why Fashion Really Does Matter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MBU chapter.

Art can be found in all forms of human design, and fashion is one of them. While some people claim that an interest in fashion applies only to those who wish to pursue fashion as a career, several benefits result from putting effort into appearance.

Walking to class in a t-shirt and pajama bottoms everyday may seem like a good idea, but knowing how to dress to impress only pushes people forward in the world. The future relies on the ability to compete. For example, walking into a job interview can be nerve-wracking to begin with, since first impressions matter the most in that type of situation. In fact, according to several business owners, one of the first things they notice is how a person presents herself. The knowledge of how to dress is crucial in an interview type situation. 

Sophomore and self-proclaimed fashionista, Maya Ruffin, brings up the fact that people put a lot of emphasis on style of women in society. “I’m not suggesting we fall slave to the patriarchy, or whatever, but people will take you more seriously if you dress well. That’s just how it is.”

However, fashion does not only bring comfort through the opinions of others. Although it plays an important role in shaping people’s first impressions, every individual should feel confident in her own unique style. The 19 year old Ruffin goes on to say, “I need to wake up and walk out feeling good and confident. My style isn’t always about how others perceive me, it’s about me and how I choose to get through the day.” As Yves Saint Laurent once said, “I have always believed that fashion was not only to make women more beautiful, but also to reassure them, give them confidence.”

Anna Wintour, British editor-in-chief of Vogue magazine, says something similar: “Create your own style… let it be unique for yourself and yet identifiable for others.” Fashion is an individual technique for self-expression and should be treated as such. People should be able to see style and respect it as a personal characteristic.

So how does one go about being fashionable? Whether as a hobby or a career, the media as a whole makes access to the newest trends much easier. One way Ruffin keeps up with the newest fads is through social networking sites such as Tumblr and Pinterest. “I follow a lot of fashion blogs and I compose different outfits electronically before I decide to try them out. It’s easier for me to get opinions on what’s in this season and it helps me to choose specific aspects of fashion that I enjoy.”

Magazines are another type of media that serves those interested in the latest look. From Nylon to Vogue to Harper’s Bazaar, magazines outline everything that major fashion designers identify as staple items for the season, and in general.

Most importantly, the purpose of fashion in a person’s life is to convey their inner being with outward design. Gianni Versace says, “Don’t be into trends. Don’t make fashion own you, but you decide what you are, what you want to express by the way you dress and the way you live.”