This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MBU chapter.

Women have been relentless in their fight for gender equality since the Seneca Falls 

Convention led by Elizabeth Cady Stanton in 1848. Another thing that has been just as relentless 

is the negative connotation associated with the word “feminism”. According to French feminist 

writer Hélène Cixous, women must create their own language in order to redirect the patriarchal 

power structure and become more confident with who they are. Whether she means a literal new 

language or a metaphorical language is up for discussion, but there are certain feminists in 

today’s society that are bringing using their language to educate people all over the world about 

gender inequality.

Over the past few years the media has slowly started focusing its attention on the 

importance of the recent feminist movement. In August 2014, Taylor Swift said that she has been 

a feminist her entire life without exactly knowing what the term feminist actually meant. She 

states, “As a teenager, I didn’t understand that saying you’re a feminist is just saying that you 

hope women and men will have equal rights and equal opportunities. What it seemed to me, the 

way it was phrased in culture, society, was that you hate men. And now, I think a lot of girls 

have had a feminist awakening because they understand what the word means.” 

It goes without saying that T Swift is one of the most appreciated pop singers of our time 

and her voice is literally changing the opinions of millions of people around the globe. 

Remember when Katy Perry tried to do the same thing? No? Exactly. She tried, but Taylor 

somehow has so much more of an impact. Even Time Magazine has acknowledged her 

importance as they put her on the cover of their November 2014 issue. What’s so intriguing 

about this cover is that Taylor is portrayed in such a traditionally “masculine” viewpoint. Her 

headshot is extremely close with her eyes peering at the audience. This is a power stance. The 

cover basically says, “This is Taylor Swift and she is going to sing and dance this world right 

into place.” 

By this point, many of you might be thinking, “Really? She always sings about her 

breakups and she’s always jumping from guy to guy, etc. blah blah,” but the answer is yes! If 

you haven’t listened to her newest album 1989 then I highly suggest you stop reading this article 

and immediately browse YouTube. Although she does sing about her relationships, her newest 

album specifically is about embracing her sexuality and her femininity. 

She truly is a role model and one of the few female celebrities that have been successful 

in stating her feminist ideals. So let’s celebrate by giving her a round of applause! 

So how does this relate to students at Baldwin? This campus is known for its devotion to 

making women more confident in being who they are. They don’t call us Boldly Baldwin women 

for nothing. Does that make us all feminists? I suppose not. But a common pattern that can be 

observed in even the youngest Baldwin student is her passion for justice and equality. So stay 

strong and listen to Taylor Swift!
Kalli-Anne Hymons is a devoted student in Mary Baldwin College's Early College Academy. She is an English major with a minor in Creative Writing. When she isn't getting lost in a new book or catching up on her favorite shows on Netflix, you can find her studying or working hard in class. Kalli-Anne was born and raised in Chesapeake, Virginia, and enjoys reading and playing field hockey.