This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MBU chapter.

Face it, college is difficult. Trying to balance everything at once can both mentally and physically drain a person, and make her not want to do anything at all. Start off the New Year right and don’t allow yourself to lose motivation. Keep yourself healthy, relaxed, and upbeat with the help of your favorite escape mechanism—Netflix!

That’s right, ladies. The all-powerful Netflix gods are watching over you. Although the popular website may seem completely damaging to your grades and education overall, if you use Netflix wisely, it is likely to do the exact opposite. But, beware. One must always practice safe-watching. Sticking to shows that run 20 to 30 minutes long is a safe bet, especially if they’re comedic.

Shows like Parks and Recreation, The Office, and the recently added series Friends are all available for your entertainment (and avid procrastination). The purpose of a comedy is to bring you completely out of your current situation. Say you have three papers due in a week. Get started on those papers beforehand and reward yourself with something funny. Smiling releases endorphins that naturally result in a happier mood. So if you’re down in the dumps or bogged down with stress, Netflix is here.

On the other hand, if you’re one of those students that need an extensive amount of inspiration and a kick start on their critical thinking skills; more serious shows are your best option. These shows are more difficult to manage so be careful. Hour-long episodes mean you can only watch a couple a day at most! (Seriously.) Grey’s Anatomy has proven to change lives and provoke an immense amount of inspiration; however, shows like Dexter, Breaking BadArrow and Sherlock are all good choices that will get you to think. Fortunately, Netflix has a section to browse different genres so choose what you like.

Happy watching!

Rachel Heacock is a second-year at the University of Virginia. She is an Applied Statistics major with a concentration in Actuarial Finance with interest in an English minor. When she isn't watching baseball, she's in class, studying, or reading up on FanGraphs and MLB Trade Rumors. Born and raised in Northern Virginia, Rachel loves attending Washington Nationals games or relaxing at her southern lake house with her Lab-German Shepherd mixed puppy.